Menu

What are different curriculum teaching methods? Please help me understand this!!!

I posted on the curriculum board, but no response. Not sure what I"m asking as I've stayed "comfortable" with one publisher for most subjects....but,

Now, I'm interested in possibly changing a few publishers for a few subjects.

Question: Would you explain spiral learning? What other styles of teaching a concept is there? Really need help with this.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

Hey, posted on your other thread as well. Spiral concept has constant review of previous skills learned. It also breaks things down into small chunks and then moves to another skill and will come back to original skill and review and move ahead. Does that make sense?

The other is mastery. This is where one concept is taught at a time until it is mastered. If I also understand correctly there are programs that use both of these methods mixed together. So are you more confused now!lol

A spiral is when a topic is covered repeatedly at intervals and each time it is covered more in-depth. So, for example, a math program might introduce addition, subtraction and multiplication in their second grade book. In their third grade book they hit the same topics but you learn more about them or more complicated problems.

In grammar for first grade a student might learn that a noun names a person place, thing or idea. In second they find out about proper vs. common nouns, in fourth grade they are learning about nouns used as direct objects.....

Same topic- nouns- but each time the student spirals back to it they learn a little more about it.

uh, that sounded so much better than mine!lol:tongue_smilie:

Examples:

spiral program = Saxon math

non-spiral program = R&S math

It should be obvious if you can view a book from each program. R&S will have, say, an entire chapter on only the Metric System. Saxon will mix a little metric system in, here and there throughout the book. They might cover the exact same material - but in a very different way.

Edited by ksva

I posted on the curriculum board, but no response. Not sure what I"m asking as I've stayed "comfortable" with one publisher for most subjects....but,

Now, I'm interested in possibly changing a few publishers for a few subjects.

Question: Would you explain spiral learning? What other styles of teaching a concept is there? Really need help with this.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

I guess I'm not sure what all you are asking. You're asking about a few subjects but spiral and mastery refer mostly to math. Other subjects can be much more diverse.

What subjects are you thinking about changing and what are you currently using in those subjects? What do you not like about them? What types of things are you looking for in those subjects?

A spiral is when a topic is covered repeatedly at intervals and each time it is covered more in-depth. So, for example, a math program might introduce addition, subtraction and multiplication in their second grade book. In their third grade book they hit the same topics but you learn more about them or more complicated problems.

In grammar for first grade a student might learn that a noun names a person place, thing or idea. In second they find out about proper vs. common nouns, in fourth grade they are learning about nouns used as direct objects.....

Same topic- nouns- but each time the student spirals back to it they learn a little more about it.

Actually, what you describe here is more "incremental" than "spiral".

Simplistically speaking, there are three types of math curriculum. At one end of the spectrum, we have Mastery. At the opposite end, we have Sprial. And, in the middle, we have Incremental.

With a true spiral method, topics aren't ever considered "mastered". Each concept is reviewed in every lesson, while tidbits of new material are introduced. In a spiral math lesson, the student might be reviewing three or four concepts even while they're learning a fifth one, and being introduced to a sixth. Saxon Math is spiral.

In an incremental curriculum, the topics are introduced once a year, and mastered at that level before another topic is introduced. The next year, the same topics are introduced at deeper levels and mastered at that level before moving on to a different topic. Singapore Math and Rod&Staff English are incremental programs.

With a mastery program, each topic is covered fully. The "Keys to" math series is an example of a mastery program. The Keys to Fractions booklet covers fractions from beginning to end. It is not discussed in any other of their books. Similarly, Keys to Decimals covers all they teach about decimals. There is no review of fractions in the decimal book, or vice versa. Each little book stands alone.

I hope this removes some of the confusion. I'm aware that there are different ways to define these terms, and there are some programs that combine different elements of each, but these are the definitions that seem to have developed most readily on these boards through the years.

THANKS EVERYONE! Much appreciated.

Wouldn't a mix of both spiral and mastery then be the best? If so, which Math programs offer that?

Actually, the problem is that no one method is "best" for everyone. Different methods work better for some kids, and some topics are better taught one way or the other. Plus, if a program drives mom nuts, it isn't going to be implemented very well, no matter whether it's best for others or not. Believe it or not, this is actually a very volatile subject. People get very defensive about their math programs, and are inclined to insist that there is only one best way to do things. Truth is, what is best for someone else may be a terrible fit for you and your dc.

Personally, I love Singapore Math, which isn't spiral or mastery.

What do you like about spiral, and what do you like about mastery? What have you used in the past? What do you like and dislike about it? Tell us what you're looking for, and we can help you find your way. :)

ETA: Oh, and Incremental *IS* a combination of spiral and mastery. Topics are mastered at each skill level within a grade, then revisited the next grade at a deeper level. Singapore Math and Rod & Staff English are both incremental. I believe most elementary math programs are incremental, except for Saxon, which definitely spirals round and round all year long. (It makes me dizzy, but some folks love it!) :)

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Actually, what you describe here is more "incremental" than "spiral".

With a true spiral method, topics aren't ever considered "mastered". Each concept is reviewed in every lesson, while tidbits of new material are introduced.

In an incremental curriculum, the topics are introduced once a year, and mastered at that level before another topic is introduced. The next year, the same topics are introduced at deeper levels and mastered at that level before moving on to a different topic.

:iagree: