Menu

What is the relative difficulty of Prentice-Hall Science Explorer books?

TrixieB

Prentice-Hall has three bind-up Science Explorer volumes available:

Earth Science

Life Science

Physical Science

Does anyone know if there is a relative difficulty among these three volumes, for example is one aimed at 6th graders and therefore "easier" while another is for 7th or 8th graders and is more challenging? Or are there easier and tougher sections within each book, but the overall levels of the books are similar?

Earth science is definitely the easiest. There are some parts of the life science that get complicated, but the physical science is the hardest. If you're going to do a different strand each year, then earth-life-physical is probably the best way to do it.

My middle dd used the individual books and I let her work through them in whatever order she chose (except that Chemical Building Blocks had to be done before Chemical Interactions).

My youngest doesn't like science and would rather choose to do nothing than have to make choices about the sequence. She also wouldn't want me to arbitrarily choose the order and wouldn't do well with having the same strand for the entire year. I am using the 6th grade level book for her. It has a mix of topics from each of the strands.

My oldest was in ps for 6th and 7th grades, so she only used Science Explorer in 8th grade. She used the individual books. I let her choose whichever 5 she wanted to do.

Thanks for your responses.

My 6th grader recently finished Sonlight 5 science (human body/anatomy/rocks & minerals) and is interested in the physical science book. I think it could work for her to start earth science now, then life science topics she didn't cover with SL 5. Then in 8th grade she can do physical science.

I will discuss AngieW's approach with her to see if she'd rather mix up the topics.

ETA: She says she wants to do earth science, so we'll start with that. :)

Edited by TrixieB