Menu

Are there any great international camp / short study abroad programs for young teens

To be perfectly honest, I think a kid that age is too young for a trip abroad to anyone other than relatives, and possibly not even to them. We had one experience with a 14 year old and I really wish her parents had waited until she'd matured past pure hormones.

The world will be waiting when the kiddies are older :)

Rosie

To be perfectly honest, I think a kid that age is too young for a trip abroad to anyone other than relatives, and possibly not even to them. We had one experience with a 14 year old and I really wish her parents had waited until she'd matured past pure hormones.

The world will be waiting when the kiddies are older :)

Rosie

You know I really do have to agree. I guess for a short period it would be OK, but the exchange students I've seen at that age have often lacked the maturity needed to 1/ cope well and 2/ gain anything out of the experience.

My daughter went here when she was 11:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/spr/kuj/kur/deu/kin/enindex.htm

We were in the country at the same time, so although it was an "international" experience, we could drive to the camp if there were any cause. There were kids from all over the world many with english as a second or third language.

It was a great experience for her and she loved it.

I KNOW that my dd would love to have an international experience (either camp or short-term study abroad). I see programs for older teens in high school or obviously college, but I am wondering if there is something for the 12-15 year old set.

Oxbridge summer camps are for kids as young as 13.