Menu

Best place to buy Miquon and supplies

Aludlam

I've been looking into this program this week. Does anyone know of a good place (read cheap) to buy the books? Also, I know you need c rods. Where to get those? I've heard you can't use MUS blocks (which we have) is that right?

thanks for the info

Angela

You can post for used materials on the Want To Buy board and see what you find.

As for new, I used Rainbow Resource. Christian Book Distributers (www.cbd.com) also has everything. And no, you can't use MUS blocks, you need the smooth cuisinaire ones. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I found the Miquon materials (sans Rods) here on the For Sale boards.

I've never ordered from Christian Book Distributers but they have all the components (although I did need to "hunt" to make sure they had "The First Grade Diary") that I like, and the prices seem very good.

Wherever you get the materials I'd urge you to get all 3 of the "Teacher books." Lab Annotations, Notes to Teachers and The First Grade Diary. You could delay getting all the student books, but I wouldn't pass on the teachers materials.

For C. Rods, a set of 155 "non-connecting" rods is best. It can be confusing now that there are scored/linking rods out there (why :confused:).

I also prefer the plastic "small group set" (and I'm not sure RR carries these?)

Also consider a set of 10 of the "base-10 flats". These are not an inherent "part" of Miquon, however, they are fantastic for demonstrating three digit numbers (flats being 100 values in the same scale as C Rods) in a Miquon-style. These really proved valuable with my boy.

Best wishes!

Bill

I got the First Grade Diary used from Alibris or Half.com, I think.

I was more than thrilled to find a set of the wooden Cuisenaire rods at a thrift store, in the original box, in perfect condition for---------$1!!

I'd like to spend more time with some Miquon activities, but I've got so much math on our plate right now.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie
spelling

Spycar:

Why non-connecting rods? (I've never actually seen the rods, just curious)

thanks

Angela

Oh...I lost a long-winded answer to a "server failure".

Short answer. You don't want them scored, because seeing "values" without "counting" is one of the aims and strengths of using Cuisenaire rods in the first place.

The connecting rods also have "nibs" that could interfere with estimating length in the first place (with extraneous bit sticking out) and the way the rods are used you would not want little bits sticking out.

These "connecting rods" are NOT Cuisenaire Rods as designed by the late Georges Cuisenaire, rather they are someone's marketing decision and one I'm certain would infuriated him since they undermine the purpose and utility of the rods.

Wood or plastic is not a big deal, these so-called "connecting Cuisenaire Rods" would in my estimation significantly detract from their value the way rods are used in Miquon.

Bill

Short answer. You don't want them scored, because seeing "values" without "counting" is one of the aims and strengths of using Cuisenaire rods in the first place.
Also, it is not always the case that the assigned values are usual 1-10.