Menu

Spanish AND Latin for a third grader???

Mom2OregonBoys

Hello all:

I'd like to add Latin and/or Spanish this coming fall for my son who'll be in third grade. I know for certain I want to add a language but I'm torn about whether to choose one or the other or teach both. As I've looked around at different threads, I've noticed that several folks are doing two languages with elementary-age kids. I suppose that, depending on what program I choose (and how quickly we proceed) it's possible to introduce two languages at once. Any advice for me . . .? Can any of you recommend language programs that would be appropriate for a third grader (accelerated) learning two languages? I should mention that I don't know either language.

I have my eye on Lively Latin but would welcome additional recommendations. I'm clueless about Spanish programs and would love any advice and recommendations you can give me.

Thanks in advance,

I think that Latin is important to develop the mind, learn grammar and read those great books someday. On the other hand, learning Spanish is so practical. It has become a second language in this country and will probably only become more prominent. I know that some people recommend waiting on the modern language until high school, but I really believe that it is much easier to learn at a younger age.

My 9yo is learning both. We are using Latina Christiana, but I think if I started all over again, I would start with Lively Latin. It just looks so fun. I don't know Latin either, but I am learning it with my daughter.

I don't use a program for Spanish. Instead, I have found an outside class where she can speak to someone in the language and hear the proper accents. (I don't know Spanish, so I can't do that.) I have Rosetta Stone-Spanish, but have used only the first few lessons.

I would recommend starting with one and then adding in the second one later.

My dd started with Spanish and has demonstrated aptitude with it. When the opportunity came for her to join a co-op Latin class in addition we decided to try it. (This was a year or so later.) She has always done fine with both. However, in her case, I think she has a real aptitude where languages are concerned. She and I inherited this from my father, who was fluent in several languages.

My ds, on the other hand, while he has done well with Spanish, has not demonstrated the same easy aptitude that my daughter has. I have held off on starting him in Latin until he is more comfortable with Spanish. When we try Latin, if it proves to be too confusing, I will drop Latin as a language and just plan on doing Latin root words and showing how the language relates to English, rather than having him learn to speak it. Ds' strengths are more math and science related, so I see no point in forcing two languages.

For Spanish we are using a combination of Rosetta Stone and tutoring. One of our tutors teaches grammar and conversation. Our other tutor just converses, plays games, and reads simple children's books.

For Latin we are using Latina Christiana as our base text, and the co-op meets once a week to play Latin games and practice together.

We have done both Spanish and Latin with the kids for about 3 years. People say start with Latin because it will help with Spanish, but the same can be said about starting with Spanish because it will help with Latin. :) In my opinion, Spanish is easier than Latin (no declensions, just conjugations). My dh teaches the kids Spanish because he can speak it, but I teach the Latin.

All this to say, it can be done and the kids don't seem to get confused, but if you want to start out with just one, choose the one that fits your family best.

I am doing both together with my younger son. He'll be in fifth grade next year, so we've done this four years already. There are several discussion threads going right now about good Spanish and Latin programs. You might go to Paula's Archives to look at some critiques of some of both types of programs. Of course, opinions may vary from family to family as to what works best for them.

No matter what programming you use, I think that Spanish, as a romance language which arose from Latin, is going to run more smoothly with Latin than something like, say, Japanese.....

Regena

• 2 years later...

My ds, on the other hand, ... if it proves to be too confusing, I will drop Latin as a language and just plan on doing Latin root words and showing how the language relates to English, rather than having him learn to speak it.

Strider, or Anybody? - I'll be starting Foreign Language in the Fall...and after reading this forum, decided to focus on Spanish first. But reading Strider's comments about her DS, I want to include Latin root words and how it relates to English, to keep exposure to it until we can start it in a year or two.

Any thoughts about this? Where can I get the info just on the root words, etc. without having to swim through a whole curriculum of Latin?

Strider, or Anybody? - I'll be starting Foreign Language in the Fall...and after reading this forum, decided to focus on Spanish first. But reading Strider's comments about her DS, I want to include Latin root words and how it relates to English, to keep exposure to it until we can start it in a year or two.

Any thoughts about this? Where can I get the info just on the root words, etc. without having to swim through a whole curriculum of Latin?

:lurk5: Same question.