Menu

Saxon 2 Facts Drill help, Please

mlbuchina

My dd6 does great with all the drill. Until we started the timed drill. Once the timer goes on, it is like her mind and her hand disconnect from one another.:glare: She starts writing her numbers backwards or, for example, writing "21" for "12". Also, she will make a mistake, know it, go to erase it, and then get mad because she knows this takes up her time and begs me to stop the clock. I've told her to just line through it and write the correct answer beside it and move on to save time.

We are on lesson 11 of Math2, so we have only done the timed drill 3 or 4 times now. However, it ended in tears today, and I do not want math to become this for my child. She loves math, but I can see this as becoming a stumbling block. For those who have btdt, any advice?

TIA!

It took us a little while to get the hang of timed drills as well. Have you considered offering a prize for beating her personal best? I always give my daughter another minute (or whatever the time limit is for that sheet) to try to beat her score with the remaining problems, as long as there are enough.

Or....you could try using a stopwatch instead of a timer. Time how long it takes to do the first row, and then try to beat that time for the second row. Is this the first time she's had to work against a clock? If so, it may be stressful. Play with a stopwatch while doing other activities to get her more used to the idea.

I also don't worry about erasing mistakes. If she makes a mistake, my daughter writes the correct answer on top of or next to the first answer, and then takes some time when she's done to clean her sheet up. Don't give up! Timed sheets feature heavily in Saxon 2 and 3, and they're great practice and a good mental challenge.

My daughter was just like that at 6 in Saxon 2. I did not time her. I just had her do the time sheet as a problem sheet. In Saxon 3 I used a stop watch and recorded her time to complete the page. She was trying to improve her time.

Setting a timer and having it go off after a minute makes her freeze everytime.

Linda

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of a stopwatch and trying to beat your best time. I do think that the timer is just way too stressful for her. Thankfully, the timer I have does both!:D

If that doesn't work, then we will just put the timer/stopwatch away and try again later.

Thanks, again!:lol:

When I did Saxon 2 with my son, his issue was writing took him a while, so instead of having him write the answers while timing, I would have him say them orally while I wrote them on a separate paper (so I could make sure they were correct). I figured that was fine because after all the drills are really about knowing the facts, not how well you write your numbers. After a while he was able to write them and timing wasn't an issue.