Menu

Barry Stebbing Art Series

Mynyel

is what we have, it does touch on technique( shading etc.) different mediums, not very deeply though. It is mostly, what the title says it is=history of christian art. There is a lot of copying of masters and we haven't got very far:bored:. My daughter (9) also bought herself one of his on, what else, Horses. She goes through it by herself reading the lesson and then completing it, she and I both like the horse book better. I can't put my finger on why though, as they are both set up the same. I guess I thought that in G&HofA there would be more technical info, gone into deeper and that it would help her improve her drawing and sketching. There is just not enough to help her to be a better artist. Don't know if this has made any sense, I'm doing and listening to 10 things at once. As usual:tongue_smilie: Too many voices in my head:drool:

We use "I Can Do All Things" and like it. The first part of the book takes you through 26 short lessons on the basics of drawing. It does a nice job of explaining how to get different effects such as shaded areas, perspective, contrast, overlapping objects, textrure, etc. Each exercise has sample drawings and space for the student to try it out on his own. You are able to copy the pages for your family.

The other sections in the book go into basics about coloring with pencil, markers, beginning painting, and basics about studying the Masters.

The text in the book is easy to follow, even for someone who may not be very comfortable in "doing art".

I'm using this book for my 7 & 9 yr. old boys. We had purchased "God and the History of Art", but I feel "I Can Do All Things" is more at their current level. I plan to save the other books for later.