Menu

MFW questions

3and3

I am currently teaching 5yo ds, 7yo dd, and almost 9yo dd. We are using a combo of MOH 1 and SOTW 1. We have spent almost 2yrs going through this and really are not enjoying it. One problem is that I have not been able to get any projects or fun activities done with them. I am not real good at planning and I just end up reading the text and that's it. I would like my children to like history, but they are not. I am using LLATL with the girls. They enjoy it because everything is laid out and the activities are right there. So I don't have to plan much just pick up and go.

So with that in mind I have been looking at MFW for next year. It looks like from samples I have seen that it is pretty well planned out for you. Is that true? Also, do you think I could use Rome to Reformation with my girls who will be 4th and 2nd/3rd grades? It also looks like I could stop using seperate Handwriting, Science, and Bible programs and combine girls and some things for son who will be 6yo. My hope is that I can combine as many subjects as possible since I also have twin boys who will be 2 soon.

Thanks in advance:001_smile:

Jen in MD

8yo almost 9 dd LLATL yellow, horizons 2, MOH1 SOTW1, and Nature Study

7yo dd LLATL blue, horizons K, MOH 1 SOTW 1, and Nature Study

5 yo ds Phonics, counting and into everything

twin ds almost 2 just trying to keep up with older kids

Also, do you think I could use Rome to Reformation with my girls who will be 4th and 2nd/3rd grades? It also looks like I could stop using seperate Handwriting, Science, and Bible programs and combine girls and some things for son who will be 6yo

Yes, you could. I did RTR with a 6th and 1st grader, and it was fine for both. There will be some things that you might hold off on, or just read and summarize for all of them (like Augustus Caesar's World - that is LONG and pretty heavy reading for the ages you've got). But the TM is very good about telling you those things, too.

And yes on the combining too. My 6 year old LOVED the Science that year, as well as the read alouds. He really got into them. Once we got past the Roman Empire, he really loved the history too. My older daughter loved the whole thing - that was probably our favorite year of the entire 5 year cycle, and we've done the whole thing!

HOD is similar and you might be able to combine all 3 olders with very little tweaking.

I like MFW too, and HOD is similar...so I just thought I'd put it out there! It's more tailored to the ages of your kids and I'm using it with my DD8 and DS6 and letting DS3 listen in. It's going very well. All subjects are planned, from handwriting/copywork to dictation/narration to science and math and grammar, Bible, poetry, read-alouds, etc....and you still have the freedom to use your own grammar and math without disrupting the flow of the program.

If you decide you can't combine as hoped with MFW, HOD is worth a look.

MFW does not cover LA and Math. There are a few things in there like a poem to memorize and they schedule a quick handwriting review at the beginning of the year. There are occasional writing assignments and things tied to history or science but it isn't a full LA program so you can use whatever Spelling/writing/grammar you would like and that works for your kids. This allows you to teach all of the content subjects together.

I was thinking of using IEW and LLATL with 4th grader and LLATL with 2nd grader. Do you think that would be too much with MFW?

Those of you that have used this program are there any of the books that I can do without?

Thanks

You could use wither of those programs with MFW. I know several that do. The MFW programs are designed to take about 2 hours of your day so that you have the time to add in whatever math and English you'd like.

For my younger twins, I have them color or draw pictures of what we are learning while I read to them. This makes longer books like Augustus Ceasar's World totally do able for those ages.

Doesn't HOD require each grade level to have it's own curriculum or something close? I've heard it's a great curriculum but it requires a lot more work to combine.

Doesn't HOD require each grade level to have it's own curriculum or something close? I've heard it's a great curriculum but it requires a lot more work to combine.

No, it doesn't. Actually, the guides cover quite a range of ages and include many options. For example, Preparing is written for 8 to 10 year olds but with the extensions you can use the guide with 11 or 12 year olds. The guides give you a choice of what level of Rod & Staff grammar and dictation to use. They also include schedules for several different levels of Singapore Math. The guides are written according to particular skill/reading/developmental levels and not according to a particular history cycle or something other than skills. I've used three years of MFW plus some of a fourth year and became quite familiar with the upper level guides even though we didn't use MFW beyond ECC. Anyways, combining with HOD really isn't all that different than combining with MFW. My 2nd grader is participating in Preparing and loves it. I could easily make Preparing his only program if I wanted to do that.

Sorry! Thanks for clearing that up. I have a very classical bent so I have always looked for chronological history and it looks like HOD isn't in a chronological history order.

HOD actually IS a chronological history program. In the k/1st program, it's chronological Bible history. Then there's two years of American History, 1st chronological history of major events, then a chronological biographical history. This allows those youngers to get history without all the false gods, mythological, etc. of the ancient world.

Next, is a 1 year chronological world history overview starting with Creation. Followed by 4 guides covering the history cycle...right now Hearts for Him Through Time: Creation to Christ, which covers Ancients is available. Soon, HFHTT: RTR will be available (covering middle ages, part 2 of the cycle), followed by two more guides that will cover the next two parts of the history cycle.

Each level can be used with a wide variety of ages. Like MFW, each child uses their own levels of math and LA. MFW is made for 4th-8th, supplements for olders (7th and 8th) and in the last two programs, there are supplements for 2nd and 3rd graders due to the content of the material. HOD's Bigger Hearts is tailored for ages 7-9, with extensions for 10-11 and many combine even older kids by adding more advanced reading. Preparing (world history overview) is for 8-10, ext fro 11-12 and again, many with olders. CTC (ancients) is for 9-11, ext 12-13...and so on. If you pick up Christine Miller's All Through the Ages, you can find books for the youngers tagging along with olders, or for olders studying with youngers. HOD is very flexible and kids can be easily combined. In fact, my K'er and 3rd grader are in Bigger together. He has phonics and K math and she does Bigger as written (except on diff level of R&S Grammar and we changed to Math Mammoth from Singapore).

Another difference is with HOD you can get math and LA PLANS, instead of an empty box just reminding you to do it. HOD uses highly recommended math and grammar programs. I'm sure if you look closely, you'll find the two are equally combinable! And that HOD actually is a chronological history program.

So with that in mind I have been looking at MFW for next year. It looks like from samples I have seen that it is pretty well planned out for you. Is that true? Also, do you think I could use Rome to Reformation with my girls who will be 4th and 2nd/3rd grades? It also looks like I could stop using seperate Handwriting, Science, and Bible programs and combine girls and some things for son who will be 6yo. My hope is that I can combine as many subjects as possible since I also have twin boys who will be 2 soon.

Thanks in advance:001_smile:

Jen in MD

Yes, MFW is designed for families to combine kids, once they are reading solidly. And even earlier than that, kids can join in on family activities etc.

Yes, you will have plenty of Bible, science, and opportunities to practice handwriting already included in MFW. Sometimes folks continue to add handwriting if their student is really struggling with it, or if they are working on cursive (MFW has recommendeds for cursive & all other subjects, but you can also use your own choices).

And yes, it's all laid out for you. It's been a lifesaver for our family in that regard. Whenever we need to just open & go, it's there. And of course whenever we have time, we can plan & such as much as we like :o)

My final thought was that ECC would be more fun for your ages than RTR. Or, if you get to a point in history where your kids are just too young, you could always take a year off and do ECC while they mature a bit. ECC sets a nice stage for enjoying the cultures of the world and not judging them for their mistakes and wars and such. We are just finishing up SOTW-4, and I would want to be sure my oldest was ready to handle it. The last chapter of SOTW-4 was on the violence in Rwanda.

Julie