Menu

Angie, more physics help please!

OK, my son thinks he's got the first one right, but he's unsure how to complete the second one. Here they are:

1. the first climbers of mt. everest climbed the last 400 meters of the ascent in 4 hours (or about 14,400 seconds). rounding to the nearest hundredth, what was the average speed in meteres per second of the last part of their climb?

the formula he used was: distance=rate * time, so the distance is known and the time is too...so he found that rate=distance/time...

400meters/14,400seconds=0.03m/s for average speed...right?

2. the summit of mt. everest is about 9000 meters above sea level. if the 2 climbers had fallen from the peak to sea level, how long would their fall have lasted? ignore air resistance. show your calculations.

he doesn't know where to go from here. anyone??

TIA!

2. the summit of mt. everest is about 9000 meters above sea level. if the 2 climbers had fallen from the peak to sea level, how long would their fall have lasted? ignore air resistance. show your calculations.

he doesn't know where to go from here. anyone??

TIA!

Ok, I'm assuming they mean at the summit they found a hole down to sea level and fell in... that hole had no air resistance, and therefore, no terminal velocity.

So, all you need is d = 1/2 at^2 since the initial velocity is 0.

9000= 4.9t^2

1837 = t^2

t = 43 seconds. Not a long time to review ones life... (but better than 30!)

I'm thinking off the cuff, but that's the way I see it. Anyone else can jump in if they see a mistake.

Edited by creekland
correcting the mistake pointed out

you were a physics major??? Oh my, you must be a BRAIN!!

I'm a firm believer that we're all gifted in our own way... I might be able to handle math and science (at least theoretically!), but I'm artistically challenged and usually answer the question, "Does a comma go there?" with, "Maybe!"

One thing I like about this board is that we can share talents. :)

Physics is easy. Biology is HARD. I managed to get away with not taking any biology at all in college. I had lots of physics and math (because I was a physics major). I had one chemistry course. But I would have had a horrible time in biology. That is not my strength at all.

We were talking about this the other day at co-op. I think that Chemistry and Biology are both much harder than Physics, because Physics is so tangible, and the others are more abstract. "If I apply a force in this direction, the block will move in this direction." But you can't see so much of what's going on in Biology and Chemistry! Why do those atoms over here want to combine with those atoms over there to make some new molecule? And why do those cells want to split apart?

Of course, the Chemistry and Biology teachers each thought that her subject was the easiest.

I tend to find all math and science courses easy - at the high school level anyway (only finding anatomy hard, but I never had an official class in that).

English, on the other hand... WHY must a comma go there? WHY does ____ have to be spelled that way? Who knows if the author thought ____ when writing about that character? What is the appeal of this or that author anyway?

Then Art... I am so artistically challenged that I need to use stick figures and define my drawings to students - "That's a circle... I know... look, just use your imagination, ok? That's a circle. And this is a triangle... hold on... let me see if I can connect that a little better. Pretend this line is truly a straight line. It's a triangle." I had to work hard in Physics not for the actual Physics part, but to get my drawings close enough to understand! 3-D was tough!

as well as biology and chemistry. I found calculus easy, but geometry wasn't my "thing".

Yes, it's nice to be able to share one's talents on this board and it's also nice to ask for help when needed.

Thanks so much, Ladies!:D

I'm sure I'll have more questions pertaining to Physics in the future.:tongue_smilie:

I tend to find all math and science courses easy - at the high school level anyway (only finding anatomy hard, but I never had an official class in that).

English, on the other hand... WHY must a comma go there? WHY does ____ have to be spelled that way? Who knows if the author thought ____ when writing about that character? What is the appeal of this or that author anyway?

Then Art... I am so artistically challenged that I need to use stick figures and define my drawings to students - "That's a circle... I know... look, just use your imagination, ok? That's a circle. And this is a triangle... hold on... let me see if I can connect that a little better. Pretend this line is truly a straight line. It's a triangle." I had to work hard in Physics not for the actual Physics part, but to get my drawings close enough to understand! 3-D was tough!

I'm the same way!! But I took 1 year of anatomy. And it was easier than trying to figure out what an author is trying to say or thinking when he wrote the book! My mind just deals better with concrete things. I always tell my kids how much I love math, the fact that 1 +1 will always be 2. No hedging, no guessing.

I'm the same way!! But I took 1 year of anatomy. And it was easier than trying to figure out what an author is trying to say or thinking when he wrote the book! My mind just deals better with concrete things. I always tell my kids how much I love math, the fact that 1 +1 will always be 2. No hedging, no guessing.

We're definitely of the same mold. I occasionally have to teach anatomy due to my job in our local public high school. (I substitute teach math/science courses 2 - 3 days per week.) When I have to teach anatomy, the teacher always teaches me first. While it's a bit of memorization, it honestly doesn't seem all that difficult.

A long time ago I asked him why he wanted me, specifically, since I knew essentially nothing about anatomy beyond, "the leg bone's connected to the hip bone," etc. His reply was since I knew science/math that the brain power needed behind it all was there. Of course, he also said he had no other "real" choice - mainly because most of the subs at our district are history, English, PE or other such majors. Then there are some that refuse to work with dead cats or various organs...

I'll be in there again next Thursday. I haven't checked to see what I'm teaching yet, but I will soon. For these past few days and today, it's Pre-Calc and Alg 2 (teacher had his appendix removed). We're on Radians having just finished the Law of Cosines (Pre-Calc) and asymptotes (Alg 2). All easy stuff - just leave me out of English!

It's nice to know others are out there that completely understand!

It's also nice to know others on here could direct me to great English resources and are available to answer any other question I might have...

Now I need to find someone to draw my pictures when I need them.