Menu

VP Omnibus question

Guest Alison

Guest Alison

Has anyone used this curriculum? I am considering using it, but after looking at Omnibus 2, I see some significant historical events not mentioned such as the 100 years war and the Magna Carta. I could be wrong, but after searching the book, I haven't been able to find them. Has any of you found Omnibus lacking or any problems with it? Thanks for your help.

I haven't even seen Omnibus II yet, but I'll venture a guess. :001_smile: The Omnibus I book is literature-centered. There is little history in the book except in discussing the lit selections. The student is directed to corresponding history using Speilvogel. You might want to call VP customer service to see whether those events are covered in Speilvogel. Even if they aren't, you can certainly fold them in.

HTH,

Lisa

During years I and II, my 7th and 8th graders are still doing the 4-year history cycle with us, so I've not worried about it. My 9th grader is using Omnibus III and has no other supplemental history. Because he's done the 4-year cycle twice, I am very happy with the history coverage through required literature and historical documents in Omni III. Does that help?

Omnibus II is a bit more literature heavy that history. About the events listed you mentioned, it is assumed you used the VP elementary history program, which does cover the Magna Carta anyway. Also, you need to remember, that in the Omnibus, there are cross references to the history text by Speilvogels, to get history context. You can spend as much or little time reviewing background history as you want.

Also, you might consider, which I'm doing this summer, is have your student read an overvew of the time period, as a review from past history, or to learn about it if new to them. We are moving to Omnibus III next fall, and I will have DS read a US history overview this summer, to set up the school year ~

Remember, you are not locked in with Omnibus. Also, was there a historical book written about the Magna Carta? That may be why it is not directly included, since you are reading primary books.

Guest Alison

Thanks for all your thoughts- they are very helpful. I did not realize a history textbook was used alongside the Omnibus text. Thanks!

So if Omnibus is more focused on lit than history (which is what I've heard before) then how does it incorporate the history readings? Or does it? Do the questions/work just focus on the lit? How much are the history readings from this text utilized.... or are they just background for the lit discussions?

tia

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not every year is heavier Lit than History. I thought Omnibus I was balanced well with both. Omnibus II, a little lit heavy, and looking ahead to III, it looks more history heavy If you are looking at Primaries. Secondaries tend to be the lit books. I think it just depends on which year you are doing.

Yes, SpielVogel's Western Civ (college text by the way), is used with it, as a historical context. You don't have to use it, but the page numbers are given to crossreference it for your convenience. You could read some overall historical context from anoither source I'm sure.

Questions ~ well, you need to remember that Omnibus is layered in its questions. Usually layer one is about the context, time period, author's intend, etc. Layer two, what the text actually says (lit or history) and layer three, how does it line up biblically and how should we regard what the author/text is saying in light of our own faith and time period. That is just a rough description and it's a lot more interesting than this...comparisons from then to now of events. Even in the history texts, you have to remember they don't give you a comprehensive history, they are a detailed slice of a time period, so even with that, you may want a comprehensive history text to refer to just to remind you of historical context.

Most importantly, you need to remember that Omnibus and many of these "great books" kind of programs, are about ideas, how they are connected and changed, etc. It's not just learning a bunch of historical events, which, again, the assumption is you have done that previously.

Also, (looking back over the questions), each book is tackled separately, historical or lit, or actually, at the same time, but in different "sessions." My best advice, is borrow a text and take a look at it. I knew it was good, bought it sight unseen (except for the samples on Veritas Press site) and was AMAZED when I had a chance to look through it, especially at the level of questions (which we sometimes used for essays).

This may not be helpful at all and may not have answered questions ~ but maybe it did a little.

If you need some samples questions from a book in the text, I'll add them on here for you later if you like.

• 4 months later...

Late to the party I know, but I came across this thread doing some research of my own.

Kendra, how many high school credits do you assign for Omnibus III and how do you allocate on transcript?

Thanks!!

I don't know what Kendra's doing, but according to the Veritas Scholars online website:

Students completing the Omnibus III Primary and the Omnibus III Secondary courses during the same year will be given three credits for the two courses-one each in History: Modern, US and British I, English: Modern, US and British Literature I, Religion: Doctrine and Theology III.

Blessings

in conjunction with Western Civilization, to go ahead and read the entire related chapters in the book, to get the big picture of what's happening historically. I found that much easier than just the segments assigned to accompany Omnibus. We've used Omnibus I and II.

I agree with the poster who said that Omnibus follows up with VP's history program, so the student has probably already covered the Hundred Years' War in the grammar stage.