Menu

Ideas needed for summer structure for rising eighth grader.

I don't want another 3 months of bored lazy kids. Some background: my oldest has a job and will be driving by then, so is fairly independent and occupied, and I have a little boy who is 8. The issue is my 1 yo. We do not live on a farm, so there's little work here to occupy him. He's too young for a paid job and although I'd love to find an "internship" opportunity for him to learn about a career of his interest, how does one go about doing that?? He will do volunteering one half day a week. He'll play a lot at the pool with his friends and brother. He'll read and practice every day. I just hate the lack of structure in the summer. Because we live in the burbs, and basically all of his friends are in school, we follow the school calendar. IOW, they will NOT be OK with schooling in the summer. Help!

I figure you rising 8th grader is 13-ish, not 1 :)

I'm thinking the same thing. My ds really wants to WORK. However, we live in an area that makes that difficult. We live in a small subdivision where everyone has 1-5 acres. Yardwork isn't an option here like it is many places. No one walks their dogs much less needs them walked. There aren't many children (and though he doesn't really want to babysit, he's great with kids; but then as mom, I have to worry about nuts and their accusations). Throwing papers is done by adults in cars.

And though by state law he is old enough to work, no one hires anyone under 16, usually 17 or 18.

He asked a few men in our congregation but that was a dead end for now. But it might be worth considering for your son. My son tried with a locksmith, a landscaper, a guy who does work with builders (like hanging doors, locks, appliances, etc).

I'd LOVE for my son to do something VERY labor-intensive.

DS would like to make money. I would like him to not be on the computer all day. I told him I'd pay him for the yardwork (always his job but not paid). And I know he can do schoolwork, but he'll do a minimum, I'm sure. And he will do volunteer work as always. But I think a job is a good idea.