Menu

careers?

AngieW in Texas

How do you find out if career fields are growing or shrinking or moving overseas?

My 16yo is interested in majoring in digital art/graphic design. My dh says that most of that work is going overseas, but I don't know if that's actually happening or he's pulling it out of the air.

We both got our degrees in physics. The defense industry collapsed our senior year and our degrees were worthless. We couldn't find jobs, so we went back to grad school and got master's degrees, hoping that the industry would rebound. It didn't. Our degrees were still worthless. My dh has been doing programming ever since (actually started programming professionally at 14yo). I started off teaching at the community college and then became a secretary because secretarial work paid much better. I finally got a job as a technician at a microprocessor company.

So what I'm trying to find out is whether or not the major my dd is interested in will have jobs open when she graduates. I know that nobody actually knows that, but I'm sure there are websites that track trends.

Does anybody actually have a career or have a relative in a digital art/graphic design field? What is the job market like now?

Well I don't know about what you mean about worthless degrees. My dh got a BA in physics, then later while employed got MS and PhD. He is quite well paid and we know lots of physicists who are well paid too. I can't tell you anything about digital art except my son says lots of it is being done in Japan. He is a fan but whether there are good opportunities here in the US, I don't know.