Menu

Sometimes I just don't want to know

Miss Marple

Ds#1 called me today. Classes were cancelled for this afternoon and tomorrow as we weather this ice/snow storm. So he decided to have a fun day and go to the gym with a couple of friends. OK, so far no problem...but the friend who drove decided to stay longer than ds and his roommate. Ds was dressed in gym shorts but he did take a light weight jacket; roommate was dressed in gym shorts and short sleeved tee shirt.

So they decided to walk back to their apartment (about 20 minutes). He said his roommate was almost blue when they returned. He felt like they were in a paintball fight because the hail was so forceful. He said he was worried that they might not make it back because it was so icy (what happened to the slip on cleat-type shoe thingies I sent with him :confused:).

Gee...why does he tell me these things?!? I know I have more gray hair today. :tongue_smilie:

I know what you mean. My son called me one morning.

We are in Texas so everything closes for ice and snow OR almost everything. He had a midterm to take. He is doing distance for his master's -- one class at a time and working. The only thing opened that day was the college he had to go to for his midterm to be proctored. It was a 45 minute drive -- across a long bridge-- on solid ice. He calls me from his car to tell me the car had just done 3 complete circles and he hadn't reached the bridge yet.

Son don't call me until you are home -- safe. I don't want to know that the college is open. I was doing fine thinking you were home safe. (He works 2 hours away.)

Linda

I know, too. Every other phone call or email from mine has me worried. I must be good at disguising it because they keep telling me what they are doing. I would rather know, though. I think. My middle one's last email informed me that he has signed up for e-squad, and when I asked what that was, I wished I hadn't. It is emergency squad and means he goes towards any dangerous situations instead of going away from them. Boys. I am definately not a boy. And my oldest just emailed to say that his icehouse appears to have survived the wind but he isn't going to go out and check on it because the ice looked a bit mushy. It was kind of him to tell me so, but now I am left wondering when exactly he is going to decide it has refrozen and venture out.

I am an ostrich about the snowboarding. And about the car.

That is so scary about the ice!

-Nan

It was a 45 minute drive -- across a long bridge-- on solid ice. He calls me from his car to tell me the car had just done 3 complete circles and he hadn't reached the bridge yet.

Why oh why do they think we'll be as thrilled about doing circles on ice as they are?!? We had a good weather warning ahead of time so ds went to the store to stock up on stuff (probably Cosmic Brownies, Lemon Heads, and other high quality foods :D) and he *assured* me that he wouldn't go out once the weather turned bad. Hope your ds made it back safely.

I only had sisters, too. How did I manage to raise such boyish boys? Did I mention the skeet-shooting? I suppose a lake is a good place to do it, but... They appear to have enjoyed playing house this last weekend: building their shack and putting in shelves and setting up a camp stove and buying a second hand kerosine lantern and all that. I hope they don't lose the shack. My oldest spent all week building it. I'm happy that he is happier this semester (he is enjoying his welding class) but I am beginning to wonder if he is studying. At least the plan to go alligator hunting in Florida for spring break has fallen through. I have half a hope that they won't kill themselves in New England, where they are familiar with the dangers, but this other plan had what is left of my hair standing on end. When I suggested that we should discourage the plan, my husband just said that it is important that they try lots of different things, that that is what college is for. I am trying really, really hard not to think about the profession they've chosen. Everyone here has such lofty goals for their children; I just want mine to stay alive WAIL.

One of the things that scares me the most in my life is black ice on the roads. I'm not too fond of it on paths, either. Someone in church is currently waiting to have his ankle x-rayed because he slipped on ice. We take hypothermia pretty seriously, too, because one of the first things to stop functioning well in your brain.

-Nan

Mine calls me to tell me his all finished Bridge Jumping and was wondering if it would be ok if he heads down to the Guns to go rock climbing.WHAT????? :eek:

OY...Now he wants to go sky diving...off a plane...in the sky....high up in the air...plummeting toward the ground with only a piece of silk to break his fall....

:scared::ohmy::svengo:

BOYS!

~~Faithe

I *think* we might have convinced our oldest that he will be seasick if he does that (by retelling horror stories of dorm-mates of our own who tried it LOL).

The rockclimbing scares me. For awhile, mine were just bouldering. I could deal with that. But one of mine spent a week last summer climbing our big beech trees with a harness and now he is talking about large cliffs.

What is bridge jumping? Do I want to know? Is it something mine are going to want to do when they hear about it?

You know, even without the extra stuff, there is so much ordinary stuff that worries me, like their diet and car and all those temptations...

-Nan

Actually it was my suggestion, which he wasn't going to take--until the car make a couple more circles in the road and he almost hit something because he is now in a town and not on the open highway with few cars because all intelligent adults have stayed home.

Linda

I still say good for him for telling you, listening to you, and then reversing himself and taking your advice. You must be doing something really right for him to want to tell you about it in the first place, tell you he wasn't going to take your advice, and then feel free to reverse his decision. : )

-Nan