Menu

For those who don't start formal math until Saxon 54...

christielee7278

I am very unschoolish in the younger years:

1. Read lots of math picture books.

2. Get a scale of some sort and let your kids play at weighing things. Give them a couple of tape measures and let them measure things. Have them help you measure things in measuring cups while you cook.

3. Have a jar of pennies and then later when they are older, of change. Let them count the coins. Use the pennies for counting by ones and twos (teach them the chant: 2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate!). Use the nickels to teach counting by 5's and dimes to teach counting by 10's etc.

4. Get one of those plastic teaching clocks and count by fives as you move the big hand around the clock. Teach them how to tell time.

5. Get Math It for learning times tables. I am about to teach my 8 yo the times tables using this. I've used the same set for all 5 of my kids!

6. Play games with dice, this make addition go much faster!

7. Get some used MCP math TM's. I like the TM's because they have lots of mental math, fun problems and step by step instruction guides. Also I don't have to think up problems! Today my dd did a big addition problem on our whiteboard easel for her math today. Light math day! A problem I pulled from the TM.

8. When you cut up sandwiches, pizza, etc talk about fractions. When you divide up cookies, talk about fractions some more!

9. Pick up some of the Kumon, etc workbooks at Barnes and Noble or Target and let your child do some pages from them.

Your child will be plenty read for Saxon 5/4. We don't start until 6/5 and they are plenty ready!

First I taught them to read. Then I taught them how to tell time, how to use a calendar, how to use money (including how to make change), how to add/subtract/multiply/divide (including fractions and decimals), and I made sure they knew their math facts. We used Math-It for that; I talked about it on my blog.

My son did 5/4 in third grade and my daughter did 5/4 in 2nd grade.

Here's a checklist and lots of game/activity ideas for about the K-3 crowd.

And one that's for about grade 4, but some kids might be ready a bit earlier. Biggest thing is to not really worry about those worksheets and such...focus on applying math concepts with real objects and real situations. Make it fun. My 6yo ds has SOLID math skills and I haven't done a single math lesson with him from a text (I go through SM EB K but he's not doing the workbook pages, I just teach it and he performs :) ). My 8yo dd was "good" in math, but didn't like it, and lacked some understanding...although she could do all the pages. Then I started doing it this way, and NOW she "gets" it! I'll use these lists then move into Math Mammoth (or use them alongside Math Mammoth).

I was going to make one for grade 5 but with the new baby, I just don't have time right now!