Menu

How long??

ProudGrandma

Again, I have 3 kids...ages and grades 5 (K), age 8 (grade 2) and age 9 (grade 3)....and I was wondering what others with that many kids of similar ages do as far as teaching time...I mean, this: in the morning my 3 have what we call Binder work...which is phonics, math, spelling, and handwriting. I intended to sit with each child (one at a time) and help them work through their binder work...hoping that it would take about 30-45 minutes a day, per child...but it seems to take more, most days. So then, I started having the kids all sit around the diningroom table and try to do it all at the same time...but then there was so much crabbing about the noise the others were making when asking questions, reading a loud something etc. I was before having the kids each sit in different rooms, but then I was runnning around like a chicken with it's head cut off...always telling one (and sometimes two) kids to wait...this wasn't much fun either. So I was wondering how everyone else does it.

I only have 2 that HS dd6 and dd9 but our schedule is from about 9-12:30 except for Fridays. We do most things together at the table. When we do math I start with dd6 give her instructions and directions and then once she understands the lesson I move onto dd9 while dd6 works alone if she has questions I answer them. Then I instruct dd9 and she then begins her assignment. For times such as dictation I stagger them. We do all out loud reading together and their quiet reading is done seperatley in the afternoons after outdoor time. Good luck!

Deleted post.

ETA I'm sorry, I first read your post as grades not ages, so my experience doesn't really help. Three would make it harder, but I would combine the 8 & 9 yr as much as possible. The 5 yr old, shouldn't need a lot of school time, but obviously needs your attention for that time. I do let my kids separate for some quiet time, but only for things they do NOT need me for such as reading. I don't go to them, they must come back to me!

Here is what is working for us right now (grades 5, 4, 2, K5/1, & K4):

I separated their work out into Independent, 1:1, and Group work. The independent work is stuff they can do completely on their own (obviously the older boys have a longer independent list that the younger boys). 1:1 work is work they need to do with me, and group work is work we all do together (geography, recitation, science, history, art).

The morning is reserved for independent & 1:1 work.

I work 30 minutes with ds6, then 45 minutes with ds10, then 45 minutes with ds9, then 60 minutes with ds7, then 30 minutes with ds5, then 30 minutes with ds4. This takes us from 8-12. When I'm in 1:1 time, the other boys are not allowed to interrupt. When I'm switching between boys, I'll ask if anyone has any questions.

While I'm working with a brother, the other boys are working through their independent work. Of course, ds4 & ds6 finish quickly and go play. Ds7 could finish quickly, but he doesn't. The older 3 have assignment sheets & a checklist for the week, and all the papers, worksheets, etc are in a folder for the correct day of the week.

We do group work in the afternoon, from 1-3 or so.

We do NOT have this down to a science, but it is starting to work well (finally!). Right now our kids are 6yo, 5yo, 4yo, and 2. So that is 1st, K, pre-K, and toddler. Next year we're gearing up for 2nd, 1st, K, pre-K, so we're practicing now for the whirlwind to come!

Anyway, this is the basic scheme, and we're usually done by 12:30. My 1st grader uses a variation of workboxes. We use little drawers. I set his work up the night before. Right after breakfast he is able to start right in with his school work while I'm still up to my eyebrows in morning baths, clean diapers, chore supervision, breakfast cleanup, etc. He works through Bible, LA, Math Mammoth, Number Book, and several other subjects largely independently. He comes and asks me questions now and then, and I'll stop and explain what he needs. When he's done with a subject he puts the drawer label up on his chart, and moves right on to the next drawer. This keeps him moving forward even when I'm busy with the others.

The 5yo can do some of his work independently too, and next year he'll have his own set of drawers. For now, I just get out all the worksheets/workbooks he needs, and there are a few assignments I can have him do largely on his own. For example, ETC is repetitive enough I can send him to do his assignment independently.

By the time I've dug my way out of the morning cleanup, the older kids are through with their mostly independent work, and we do our "together" things - math counting, history story, Latin songs, Bible stories, that sort of thing.

So, for us the key is to set the oldest kids up with materials & a system that enables them to keep going, even when I am busy with a sibling. I'm almost always available to help them when they need help understanding their instructions, or to give them a mini-lesson on a new concept.

Here is what is working for us right now (grades 5, 4, 2, K5/1, & K4):

I separated their work out into Independent, 1:1, and Group work. The independent work is stuff they can do completely on their own (obviously the older boys have a longer independent list that the younger boys). 1:1 work is work they need to do with me, and group work is work we all do together (geography, recitation, science, history, art).

The morning is reserved for independent & 1:1 work.

I work 30 minutes with ds6, then 45 minutes with ds10, then 45 minutes with ds9, then 60 minutes with ds7, then 30 minutes with ds5, then 30 minutes with ds4. This takes us from 8-12. When I'm in 1:1 time, the other boys are not allowed to interrupt. When I'm switching between boys, I'll ask if anyone has any questions.

While I'm working with a brother, the other boys are working through their independent work. Of course, ds4 & ds6 finish quickly and go play. Ds7 could finish quickly, but he doesn't. The older 3 have assignment sheets & a checklist for the week, and all the papers, worksheets, etc are in a folder for the correct day of the week.

We do group work in the afternoon, from 1-3 or so.

this sounds like what I am aiming to do...my problem is my kids think they need all 1:1 time and can do very little if any independently. My oldest is much more idependant than my other two. My youngest can't really read, so we do everything together, my middle can read, but refuses to do stuff on his own. It is partly a confindence thing...so I am trying to build that...but it is also laziness and having a hard time staying on task. But I guess I just need to keep working towards the goal, huh?? THANKS!!!!

I make up a MOTH style schedule for the normal day and rotate between the kids. The older two have their own checksheets and know which work can be done independently. By second grade I expect the kids to do their math workbooks, some reading (to narrate to me), and some critical thinking resources on their own. In K, everything is done with Mom. To bridge from with Mom to independent, I generally make myself available to help them by staying in the same room, but rather than sitting down beside them I wash dishes or sit across from them writing up copywork assignments or something similar. HTH

Don't be offended by this...but was Fall their first semester homeschooling?

I'm only saying that because this sounds familiar. When I first withdrew my kids from school - they would complain if a pin dropped in the room. They were also used to their teacher closely managing everything they did. Now, they can get their work done - not ONLY independently - but with the 2 year-old crawling all over the table and the 4 year-old screaming in the living room.

If they're used to a quiet, calm classroom environment - it'll take a while to adjust.

Also, we do a "joint homeschool" with another family sometimes and that woman is STRICT. She has all boys and she will look right at them and tell them to sit and wait - while she works with the other boy. :lol: It was very encouraging.

You're doing nothing wrong by telling them to sit and wait while you try to explain directions to another kid.

Don't be offended by this...but was Fall their first semester homeschooling?

I'm only saying that because this sounds familiar. When I first withdrew my kids from school - they would complain if a pin dropped in the room. They were also used to their teacher closely managing everything they did. Now, they can get their work done - not ONLY independently - but with the 2 year-old crawling all over the table and the 4 year-old screaming in the living room.

If they're used to a quiet, calm classroom environment - it'll take a while to adjust.

Also, we do a "joint homeschool" with another family sometimes and that woman is STRICT. She has all boys and she will look right at them and tell them to sit and wait - while she works with the other boy. :lol: It was very encouraging.

You're doing nothing wrong by telling them to sit and wait while you try to explain directions to another kid.

not offended at all...actually we started last January, but we are still new.. thanks for your words of encouragment. We will just keep plowing away.

I have a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th grader and an almost 3 year old. Even my 1st grader has learned to get her work done with minimal supervision. I do still read her science and history, but then she can do her own projects/assignments. She's also very good at reading directions in math and language arts and completing the assignments independently. My 3rd grader is very independent. We started doing our own workbox system. It's fabulous! I just tell them to get started. They go down the drawers one by one. If there is a problem, they set it aside and continue on until I can sit with them. This has really cut down on the sitting and waiting. I know many of the responses have been similar to this, I just wanted to encourage you and, I guess, also throw in my vote for more Independence. I hear you on the lack of self-confidence. That's my third grader. I finally had to just tell him what's expected, and leave the room so that he has no one to whine at. There are consequences for not attempting the work that I think he can do one his own. I also think some curriculum works better for Independence than others. We've changed math because the previous one we used was so teacher intensive. Our present math explains each concept right there on the child's workbook page, then tells them exactly what to do for the day. Just another thought. It gets better. You'll find a system that works for all of you!

Edited by mollies73
spelling

We use CLE, Christian Light Education. It is Christian, although you could just cross out any word problems that use the Bible. We do this, not because we disagree, but because it uses King James. We don't have a KJV Bible. This only comes up occasionally. Really, how "Christian" can math be? Most word problems are on nature and science. We haven't had to break open the teacher's book yet this year except to check the answers. The first grade is a little more work for the teacher because it's, well, first grade. Second through 12th is very independent. The curriculum goes to 12th grade, so that's helpful too.

I have kids in preschool, K, and 2nd grade. I will usually do a math lesson with my oldest, then while he is doing worksheets I can work with one of the younger children. The same goes for writing; I explain to him what he needs to do, then work with someone else while he is doing it, then I look at it when he's finished. We do science together - everybody learning the same thing.

I'm still working to perfect this but...Each of mine has a checklist of work they can do independently each day. When I am working with one child, they are to be working on their checklist. I do have to remind them, but at least I don't have them asking what to do. I switch back and forth between the 3 of them, working through the "with mom" checklist with each of them (they are K, 1, 3). I find this keeps things fresher and I like the variety of teaching phonics, then telling time to the half-hour, then reading The Minotaur or whatever. I am using an Ambleside style schedule this year and we don't do very many topics all together, but for us that is working well.

Oh, and when I am working with one child, I prefer to send the others out of the room to do their work. Less distracting that way!