Menu

7th and 8th "fun" science curriculum?

Love2Smile

BJU Science if you don't mind Christian. There are labs at least once a week, usually more (we've had up to 3 labs in one week). Today we are dissecting a frog. We have used the microscope over 10 times so far this year, I couldn't tell you how many. It is book based, but heavy on labs and demonstrations if you choose to do them (and we do!).

7th grade is Life Science, 8th is Earth and Space.

BJU Science if you don't mind Christian. There are labs at least once a week, usually more (we've had up to 3 labs in one week). Today we are dissecting a frog. We have used the microscope over 10 times so far this year, I couldn't tell you how many. It is book based, but heavy on labs and demonstrations if you choose to do them (and we do!).

7th grade is Life Science, 8th is Earth and Space.

Actually BJU 7th and 8th was high on my list, but I have read that it is too difficult to teach with out the DVD's. Did you buy the science kit that goes with it from Home Science Tools?

Actually BJU 7th and 8th was high on my list, but I have read that it is too difficult to teach with out the DVD's. Did you buy the science kit that goes with it from Home Science Tools?

I don't use the DVD's. I didn't buy the kit, but I did buy a set of lab supplies from HST. I don't find their kits are a great value or to be quite the supplies that I would most want. I spend hours in summer going through the supply list given in the book (I'm obsessive lol). They give the lab page number that each supply is used for. I check the cost of the supply, what it is used for and determine which ones to buy. I spent about the same amount as HST kit, but I got a set of supplies that were better quality and fit our needs better.

Edited by Momto2Ns

I don't use the DVD's. I didn't buy the kit, but I did buy a set of lab supplies from HST. I don't find their kits are a great value or to be quite the supplies that I would most want. I spend hours in summer going through the supply list given in the book (I'm obsessive lol). They give the lab page number that each supply is used for. I check the cost of the supply, what it is used for and determine which ones to buy. I spent about the same amount as HST kit, but I got a set of supplies that were better quality and fit our needs better.

OKay, thanks this helps alot.

You found that BJU was not too difficult them to use without DVD's??

I am thinking that the 7th and 8th grade would be a perfect fit for us and what she wants to learn the next two years. I was thinking of ACE but she doesn't like all the fill ins, I bought one sample. We have been using Abeka for many years and *I* need a change lol

Also...

With the BJU labs, did you find that you had to purchase MOST of the supplies or were there many with household items included?

DD wants a microscope so we may end up getting one, but I don't want this to be too expensive...

There a quite a few household items, but for life science I found I needed more specific "science" supplies than ever before. We've looked at pre-made slides and made our own, we've grown protozoans and looked at those. There was a worm and frog to dissect and of course the dissection tools. The list is pretty long.

I did buy a new microscope for this year. I got it on ebay and have been quite happy with it.

I have a strong science background and I don't know if that has made a difference for me in teaching. I don't find the 7th & 8th grade classes hard to teach. We haven't done Earth Science yet, but I have it already and it looks just like Life Science. It did take me a little while to get used to the teacher's book. I don't like the layout as well as I liked the layout of the elementary books, but now that I've got it figured out, I'm doing just fine with it

Ds has been enjoying Awakening Wonder. The Science Explorer text is approachable, he loves the supplementary reading, and we do labs about once a week using the Thames and Kosmos kit, which has all the supplies in it except for a few easy to find household materials, which are listed. Dd has been tagging along for the labs and enjoying them too.

Maybe you'd like Supercharged Science. There are a bunch of experiments, as well as fun videos. There are also free teleclasses, in which you do experiments with Aurora (the creator of the program). We're loving it.

http://www.sciencelearningspace.com

You can always supplement this with TOPS, Exploration Education, or Thames and Kosmos Physics workshop. Well, you can supplement with anything!