Menu

Phonics and Reading Pathways?

Mamakarla

I have a 12 yob who needs some remedial phonics and practice breaking words into syllables and sounding them out....he tends to guess at the big words and needs better word attack skills. I am looking at both Phonic Pathways and Reading Pathways as a way to get both of those things. Since I'm not all that familiar with these books, I was wondering if anyone knew how they are used? Do you go through both at the same time, or finish one and then go through the other? I don't want to get both if I don't need them all at once, but if it is something done simultaneously, then of course I will!

Thanks!

Karla :-)

Karla,

Have you looked at REWARDS by Sopris West? That has made a difference for a lot of board members' kids. My ds went up three grade levels. Another board member's ds went up five grade levels.

It is a fabulous program that only takes 21 days.

It is expensive, but well worth every penny. Do a search on these boards (and maybe Amazon and Ebay) for used copies. Your son would probably need secondary, but Intermediate would be fine too, if you find a good price.

In addition to REWARDS, we reviewed phonograms daily and used a notched card with Don Potter's Blend Phonics. Oh - and we used the free trial of Reading Horizons online workshop.

Check out Elizabeth B's and Don Potter's site. Elizabeth has free lessons on there and tons of info! http://www.thephonicspage.org http://www.donpotter.net/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Lisa (Sopris West's website isn't working for me to provide a link. I'll try later.)

Edited by lisabees

They can be used simultaneously.

http://dorbooks.com/downloads.html

Scroll down to download the guide on how to use both phonics pathways and reading pathways. It also gives guidelines on using it for spelling instruction.

I generally have my DS do a page in phonics pathways then we do a page in reading pathways. It's really helped him become a reader and not a guesser! The pyraminds in reading pathways are pretty funny, too, so it makes it fun reading. He is also blending much better than before and isn't nearly as choppy in his reading as he was previously. I'm getting ready to use it with my older DD for spelling instruction.

Thanks for the link to using the two books together....that is exactly what I was looking for!!!!

The other ideas sound really good, but because of extreme time restraints (my daughter and two grandchildren living with us, and her with a newly broken arm) I'm really strapped for time in planning, researching and implementing....I need a no-brainer, open-and-go option for right now....I'll definitely keep the other things in mind if this doesn't get the results I need and as my situation changes.....

Oh...one questions....what is the "notched card" with the Don Potter blend phonics on it?

Thanks so much!

My free online lessons are perfect for a time crunch, and they're designed for older remedial children and adults. The student just watches with a pencil and paper and you do nothing! The lessons teach syllable division and starts with 2 and 3 syllable words and syllable division rules from the first lesson.

They're linked below in my signature.

I've tutored remedial students for 16 years and what's in the lessons and what's on my how to tutor page are what I've found works the best and fastest with older remedial students.

The syllable division exercises on the how to tutor page and my phonics concentration game are probably the two most useful things if you just want to do a few, they are linked at the end of my how to tutor page.

Thanks! I'll look into that....I think I can manage a few of those things.....I noticed on your tutoring page that you did endorse Phonics Pathways as a good way to get up to speed. Also that in 6 to 30 hours you could have a child up to speed in reading. That's actually why I was going to try the PP/RP route for right now. But, I can add the exercises and the game as well.

It has been pretty frustrating teaching this child to read. He is 12 and has HFA, which has meant he is pretty much delayed in most things. He just now has beens showing signs of being at the stage where he's able to grasp it. It comes so hard for him and he gets so discouraged with it all. He hates "schoolwork"!!!!

What would you add in for getting him going in writing? Copywork, dictation, a particular program? We are starting from square one!

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks for the link to using the two books together....that is exactly what I was looking for!!!!

The other ideas sound really good, but because of extreme time restraints (my daughter and two grandchildren living with us, and her with a newly broken arm) I'm really strapped for time in planning, researching and implementing....I need a no-brainer, open-and-go option for right now....I'll definitely keep the other things in mind if this doesn't get the results I need and as my situation changes.....

Oh...one questions....what is the "notched card" with the Don Potter blend phonics on it?

Thanks so much!

Karla,

A notched card is an index card with the corner cut out, so the reader can read one letter or syllable at a time. It is to retrain their eyes to go left to right and stop guessing. I used it for a week or two. It was very frustrating for him, but worth the effort in the end! :lol:

Third link down is for notched card info. http://www.piperbooks.co.uk/resources.htm

Here is a link to Don Potter's Blend Phonics: http://www.donpotter.net/Blend%20Phonics.htm

You can't get much easier than using Elizabeth's Phonics Lessons or Spelling Lessons.

Also, Don Potter has a link to a great FREE Canadian program. I use a lot of their stuff with my dd6. http://www.societyforqualityeducation.org/index.php/stairwaytoreading

Good luck! :001_smile:

My free online lessons are perfect for a time crunch, and they're designed for older remedial children and adults. The student just watches with a pencil and paper and you do nothing! The lessons teach syllable division and starts with 2 and 3 syllable words and syllable division rules from the first lesson.

They're linked below in my signature.

I've tutored remedial students for 16 years and what's in the lessons and what's on my how to tutor page are what I've found works the best and fastest with older remedial students.

The syllable division exercises on the how to tutor page and my phonics concentration game are probably the two most useful things if you just want to do a few, they are linked at the end of my how to tutor page.

Yes. Don't forget Elizabeth's Syllable Division Exercises and the Concentration Game. They really help. I almost forgot we did those too. We then used Webster's Speller. ;)

Thanks! I'll look into that....I think I can manage a few of those things.....I noticed on your tutoring page that you did endorse Phonics Pathways as a good way to get up to speed. Also that in 6 to 30 hours you could have a child up to speed in reading. That's actually why I was going to try the PP/RP route for right now. But, I can add the exercises and the game as well.

It has been pretty frustrating teaching this child to read. He is 12 and has HFA, which has meant he is pretty much delayed in most things. He just now has beens showing signs of being at the stage where he's able to grasp it. It comes so hard for him and he gets so discouraged with it all. He hates "schoolwork"!!!!

What would you add in for getting him going in writing? Copywork, dictation, a particular program? We are starting from square one!

Thanks for your help!!!

The 6 to 30 hours is for a normal student taught with sight words, using my phonics lessons and my concentration game to break the guessing habit acquired from too many sight words. I used to use regular phonics programs, it took longer than my lessons. I do supplement with Phonics Pathways now for my students and think it is a very good program for someone who wants to use a traditional phonics text--it's very well designed and goes to a much higher grade level than most phonics programs.

While my students' overall progress is about the same now, with Webster's Speller, I'm able to get my students to a much higher grade level.

That being said, for a student with any underlying difficulties, you probably won't get the same results and the same sorts of things may not be helpful. But, so far, all of my students (including adults) love my game and find it helpful. It also may not feel like school as much.

Some of my most challenging students to remediate are very good at math, they find my charts very useful. Those that are mathematically oriented also like the syllable division rules.

Marked print like my UPP or that in the 1879 McGuffey Readers is either very helpful or very distracting for my struggling students, you can't tell until you try--and, it takes a few days of getting used to it. If it's still distracting after a few days, it probably will never be helpful. Also, some of my students do better with the hyphenated version of my UPP and some with the no hyphen version (a have both on the UPP page.)

You should start a new thread here on the special needs board with your question about writing, some other moms with children with HFA may have some good ideas, I just work on the phonics/reading/spelling portion with my students. I recommend WWE to moms of my sight word impaired students who want an easy program to follow that is based on sound methodology, but IEW might be an even better choice based on this thread.

Thanks, Elizabeth for what you do!! You are such a blessing to so many and the work you do and help you offer is very much appreciated. I know you get that a lot, but I just wanted to add my thanks to the mix!

You're welcome!

Good Luck finding something that works for you, hopefully you'll find something that is a good match.