Menu

Communicant's Class (CC)

My ds is in 2nd grade CCE (catechism) at a Catholic parish. In addition to his regular classes we have 2 extra sessions he has to attend, 2 sessions parents must attend and an extra assignment book with 6 lessons to be completed so that he can do his First Reconciliation. Then there are more meetings and another extra assignment book so that he can make his First Holy Communion in May. Most kids are 8, a very few might still be 7 but are in 2nd grade and quite a few are older than 8, but either weren't ready or didn't fulfill the attendance requirements in previous years.

My denomination (Lutheran/LCMS) does confirmation classes, usually in middle school for two or three years, and in most churches (though not all), kids have their first communion on the day they are confirmed. In the churches I've been in, the classes are taught by the pastor and are generally offered midweek. The goal is to teach essential Lutheran doctrines (Small Catechism) and how to apply them.

:iagree:with forty-two. We are also Lutheran Missouri Synod and they usually start around 6th grade (depends on the congregation). You can participate in Holy Communion after you finish the classes.

Funny - I was just explaining that to my 2nd grader this evening while we were cooking dinner. :D