Menu

Do I want to switch writing programs? Using TOG. Possibly moving to CW.

momee

I seem to have stuggling writers. While they both have plenty to say, they need more/different instruction.

I have a 6th grader doing TOG WA level 5. She specifically is very wordy, her writing is lacking in structure.

My 3rd grader is just beginning but not very visual and isn't doing well with the word webs and such.

I've been looking at CW and while it looks intense, I know how important writing is to high schoolers.

Should I stick with WA but go down a level?

Do the IEW SWI A that's on the shelf that I did with their older brother (I didn't love this)?

Or take advantage of the gift of their ages and move them to CW now while they're still learning so much and there's time to learn.

I really! don't need another intensive program but am willing to set some minor things aside while we get shored up on the writing foundation they need.

I've spent a lot of time trying to get WA to work. I am now trying to get CW to work. I have no experience with IEW.

Writing Aids and Classical Writing are so different that it is hard to compare them. I didn't like Writing Aids at all. It was just to "loose" for my engineer brain.

Classical Writing is intense, and I was freaking out last week because it was a little difficult to figure out. However, now that we are in Week 3 it appears to be coming together. I love the program, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything because of the way the directions are structured. Once I have that down, I'm confident that it is a rigorous, wonderful way to teach writing.

Hope that helps!

Staci

I have considered CW as well, another possibility that I am looking into is Classical Composition. But I keep thinking my girls would hate the subject matter every time I look at CW; I want them to like what they are doing to some extent. In the future, I would very much like to use The Lost Tools of Writing. Have you seen that one? For now, I may just continue with our confusing hodge podge of writing programs. I streamline all of them, with the exception of Wordsmith. I have the CW corebook coming and I may play around with that a bit...

I hope you get some more answers!

I seem to have stuggling writers. While they both have plenty to say, they need more/different instruction.

I have a 6th grader doing TOG WA level 5. She specifically is very wordy, her writing is lacking in structure.

My 3rd grader is just beginning but not very visual and isn't doing well with the word webs and such.

I've been looking at CW and while it looks intense, I know how important writing is to high schoolers.

Should I stick with WA but go down a level?

Do the IEW SWI A that's on the shelf that I did with their older brother (I didn't love this)?

Or take advantage of the gift of their ages and move them to CW now while they're still learning so much and there's time to learn.

I really! don't need another intensive program but am willing to set some minor things aside while we get shored up on the writing foundation they need.

For me WA wasn't open and go, I spend time laying out each pieces, so while CW requires me to figure it out, I don't find the work to be overly more difficult to use.

CW really just clicks for me. Not in an easy to use sense, though I think I have that part figured out too now, but in what you are doing and why.

Long term I will probably use some TOG writing. Why not it is just sitting there. I prefer the instruction in CW. For me it is much more concrete.

Heather