Menu

Discovery Education Streaming

We just ordered DE Plus through Homeschool Buyers Coop and are so excited. The boys are watching The Magic School Bus for recess. ;) I am curious what everyone's favorite programs are on DE. I definitely plan on starting the Elementary Spanish program with the boys. But, I need ideas to check out - it's an overwhelming amount of video/images/etc. on there!

I can't find Bill Nye on Discovery Streaming.

I see his older series on there, but not the Disney: Bill Nye the Science Guy programs.

Can you post (or PM me) with the title of one?

Discovery seems to be better with their upgrade, but they still aren't easy to search!

And as an FYI for anyone in South Carolina - we have free access to it.

I search through to find history documentaries to go with each weekly topic that we're already studying. I do the same with science and then I load both on the kids' iPods for them to watch sometime during the week. There's also a grammar cartoon that the kids love (and actually learn from) but I can't remember the name of it...

I can't find Bill Nye on Discovery Streaming.

I see his older series on there, but not the Disney: Bill Nye the Science Guy programs.

Can you post (or PM me) with the title of one?

Discovery seems to be better with their upgrade, but they still aren't easy to search!

And as an FYI for anyone in South Carolina - we have free access to it.

It is possible your version may be different. I found the search very easy.I got mine through Homeschoolbuyers co-op.

This is the list for the Plus version which I purchased:

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/pdf/streamingPlustitle.pdf

I search through to find history documentaries to go with each weekly topic that we're already studying. I do the same with science and then I load both on the kids' iPods for them to watch sometime during the week. There's also a grammar cartoon that the kids love (and actually learn from) but I can't remember the name of it...

DE allows you to upload them to an Ipod or other device such as a computer? I thought they took that ability away. Do you get your DE via Homeschool Buyers Co-op?

It is possible your version may be different. I found the search very easy.I got mine through Homeschoolbuyers co-op.

This is the list for the Plus version which I purchased:

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/pdf/streamingPlustitle.pdf

Thanks for the link. We do have Plus. I don't see the Bill Nye videos on that list. If I do a search on my Streaming, I can get Greatest Inventions with Bill Nye, Stuff Happens with Bill Nye, and Greatest Discoveries with Bill Nye.

Anytime someone says they get Bill Nye the Science Guy, I think of the Bill Nye the Science Guy programs with that title. My son loves them and if I could find them on Streaming, it'd be wonderful - but I don't see them on the pdf... It goes from Biggest Rectangle to Binge Drinking will no Bill in there. If I'm overlooking anything I'd love to learn (ds would so adore not having to get the DVDs from the library).

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. We do have Plus. I don't see the Bill Nye videos on that list. If I do a search on my Streaming, I can get Greatest Inventions with Bill Nye, Stuff Happens with Bill Nye, and Greatest Discoveries with Bill Nye.

Anytime someone says they get Bill Nye the Science Guy, I think of the Bill Nye the Science Guy programs with that title. My son loves them and if I could find them on Streaming, it'd be wonderful - but I don't see them on the pdf... It goes from Biggest Rectangle to Binge Drinking will no Bill in there. If I'm overlooking anything I'd love to learn (ds would so adore not having to get the DVDs from the library).

Thanks.

Maybe I am thinking of those;) My son loved the ones that talked about the bathroom, office, etc. as well as the others.

I signed up for my FIFTH year today!

If you're signing up or renewing your membership, be sure to go through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a good discount.

As to what we like to watch: I search by subject. I usually end every unit with a review program from D.E. What we've watched the most is no doubt Elementary Spanish.

As far as Bill Nye, with Plus, I get 29 full video hits on Bill Nye -- none of them "the Science Guy."

As to German -- there are 34 full videos on German (compared to 409 Spanish). There is a series called Extra and one called Top, plus some odds and ends.

And downloading -- homeschoolers may not download, which is seriously annoying to me because that is the only way to link segments together (or skip segments) in a playlist. Any homeschooler who has download privileges must have access through the local public school (or some other membership option that I don't know about).

DE allows you to upload them to an Ipod or other device such as a computer? I thought they took that ability away. Do you get your DE via Homeschool Buyers Co-op?

Oh, no, I don't get it with the HBC. I have a subscription through my school of enrollment. I didn't realize it was different. I can save to my computer and then I just use a converter to convert it to a format that goes into iTunes.

Here are some we like:

Dear America

David Macaulay movies

Animated Hero Classics

Alaska Experiment

Extreme Engineering

Horrible Histories

How Stuff Works

Jean Fritz movies

Jeff Corwin Experience

Liberty's Kids

Journals Through History

How Much is a Million

If you Made a Million

Rabbit Ears series

Smash Lab

Royal Diaries

Prototype This

Some Assembly Required

Weird Connections

Storm Chasers

Junkyard Wars

The Scrambled States of America

So You Want to be President

Globe Trekker (older kids like it - there is sometimes questionable material)

Lol, I searched on these forums for this every week, and the first time I ask about it, I didn't notice that there was a recent thread just 4 days prior. :001_smile: Apologies for not doing a quick search this week. :tongue_smilie:

I am in, and I LOVE it!!!!

I find it easy to search (found Bill Nye videos right away), and when I choose Windows Media 700 kbps, the quality is fine for me.

We got this to watch on our computers, we're more of a computer than a TV family, but maybe we'll get it to hook up on our TV too...