Menu

What selections have you enjoyed for literature studies? (x-post on gen. board)

gandpsmommy

In first grade we concentrated on Aesop's fables, fairy tales, and folk tales. On second grade we read D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths and Dk's Children's Illustrated Bible Story Book. This year we have read D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths and just started a book of Palestinian folk tales.

I think we have enjoyed the Norse myths most, so far. We had fun with the first Palestinian folk tale (about a ghoul who ate people until a brave villager captured the three hairs which gave him his strength and blackmailed him into becoming a vegetarian).

I'm always looking for more ideas. What literature have you and your children enjoyed? Also, what literature programs have you used and liked? Up to this point we have just read the stories, and perhaps discussed what we liked/disliked, something that we found shocking, something that reminded us of another story, etc. But, we haven't gone beyond informal discussion. I would love to hear what your family does for literature studies.

My dd and I both loved 1001 Arabian Knights by McCaughcean. We have read it at least 3 times, and she has read it on her own. We also read various other versions of some of the included stories to compare the plot and the storytelling.

The first time I taught literature was at the high school level to my ds. I think that colored how I discuss literature with my dd.

here is a simple plot document. Here is an activity to map Jack and the beanstalk to a plot diagram. Here is a link to basic lit. analysis terminology.

I look for stories and picture books that are good examples of particular elements, then read them over the span of a week or so. Sometimes we read several stories by the same author or several versions of the same story by different authors. I try to choose books that will naturally lead to discussions. Sometimes we compare the heroes or protagonists of the stories; sometimes we compare the setting; sometimes we compare the climax or the resolution or pick out foreshadowing. I try not to worry about it a lot or let it spoil the enjoyment of the story while I try to help her to look at the books thoughtfully. It has helped her to figure out what she likes about stories and talk about the different ingredients that make a story good - or not. We have a lot of years left before she takes the SAT II Lit. exam and by that time, she will be very comfortable looking at books critically and comparing them. :)

We like to do fiction/nonfiction combinations. So, the magic tree house series is a good example of that - first read the fiction book and journal about it, then read the guide and journal about it. With my oldest, we do that with any book he's interested in reading though. Right now he's reading The World According to Humphrey. He is almost done so today he went to a couple of websites with information about hamsters and journaled about them, and he'll also get some books from the library. I like it because it can connect to what he's studying in science or history.

We tend to tie most of our reading in with the history period we are studying. So we do a lot of folktales and mythologies during the ancient/medieval periods, giving way to more historial fiction for early modern.

For collections of short stories, we like Jataka Tales and Just So stories from India. I found an oversize older Golden Book of Russian Fairy Tales that has gorgeous illustrations. Lots of these are probably available via Amazon or Half.com. Tales of the Amur is another good book of Russian tales.

Geraldine MacCaughrean has out a good set of folktale books with mixed tales from all over the world. They have titles like The Bronze Cauldron, The Silver Branch, The Crystal Pool, etc.

My dd and I both loved 1001 Arabian Knights by McCaughcean. We have read it at least 3 times, and she has read it on her own. We also read various other versions of some of the included stories to compare the plot and the storytelling.

The first time I taught literature was at the high school level to my ds. I think that colored how I discuss literature with my dd.

here is a simple plot document. Here is an activity to map Jack and the beanstalk to a plot diagram. Here is a link to basic lit. analysis terminology.

I look for stories and picture books that are good examples of particular elements, then read them over the span of a week or so. Sometimes we read several stories by the same author or several versions of the same story by different authors. I try to choose books that will naturally lead to discussions. Sometimes we compare the heroes or protagonists of the stories; sometimes we compare the setting; sometimes we compare the climax or the resolution or pick out foreshadowing. I try not to worry about it a lot or let it spoil the enjoyment of the story while I try to help her to look at the books thoughtfully. It has helped her to figure out what she likes about stories and talk about the different ingredients that make a story good - or not. We have a lot of years left before she takes the SAT II Lit. exam and by that time, she will be very comfortable looking at books critically and comparing them. :)

Karen, I just had to say "thank you" for helping me figure out what literary device I wanted to use for analysis in Lloyd Alexander's The Iron Ring. We are reading that along with the Jataka tales and the Geraldine McCaughrean books that mcconnellboys mentioned for our study of Ancient India. My son is having a blast.

Karen, I just had to say "thank you" for helping me figure out what literary device I wanted to use for analysis in Lloyd Alexander's The Iron Ring. We are reading that along with the Jataka tales and the Geraldine McCaughrean books that mcconnellboys mentioned for our study of Ancient India. My son is having a blast.

:D glad I could help.

Time Cat is the only Lloyd Alexander book we have read. I think I'll have to put him back in the list of authors to explore more because the Iron Ring looks like something I'd enjoy. Right now, we're reading Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer as a follow up to our Norse mythology.

:D glad I could help.

Time Cat is the only Lloyd Alexander book we have read. I think I'll have to put him back in the list of authors to explore more because the Iron Ring looks like something I'd enjoy. Right now, we're reading Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer as a follow up to our Norse mythology.

The Iron Ring is not set in ancient India but draws heavily from ancient Indian mythology. The concepts of caste and dharma are discussed at length and provide terrific examples of conflict. There are so many ways to go whether you look a plot, theme or moral, or characters. Then there are the paragraphs ripe with assonance and consonance. Then there is plenty of foreshadowing. The opportunities for rich discussions with a middle schooler are endless.

Off to check out Sea of Trolls.

We read all over the place! We do tie our lit to the history we are doing, but we also read classics and just plain good books that have nothing to do with our history period.

Beyond talking about the plot and the characters, and sometimes talking about why the characters do what they do, we are not formal in any way. I don't ask for written narrations or really anything--imo, that comes later.

Guess we are slackers! :D

But dd LOVES to read, and is a voracious reader--not a lot of twaddle, either.