Menu

WWE/FLL or Classical Writing? HELP!

jenL

I'm so torn! Currently, we're doing FLL (1st grade) and WWE1. I'm trying to decide for next year if I should stick with FLL (2nd gr section) and WWE2 or switch to the Classical Writing Primers.

Ds and I are both liking FLL and WWE, but I really like what I've seen of the CW Primers, and I've been wanting to incorporate picture & nature study into our days. The primers will do this.

I'm thinking I could do WWE2 & FLL2 and then switch to CW Aesop for 3rd OR should I just go ahead & make the switch to CW in 2nd grade with the Primers?

Will WWE and FLL give ds a strong enough base to switch over to CW?

Any insight would be helpful! I want the most solid (yet gentle) grammar/writing background as possible. Which path would be better?

PS - I'm open to doing WWE all the way through 4, and then switching to CW, but if I did that where would I start him - Homer?

Giving you a bump. I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on this. I agree that the CW Primers look good.

Personally, I've been using WWE 1 & 2, for 1st and 2nd grade with my current 2nd grader. I'm planning to start her in Aesop next year. However, if I had heard of CW Primer, I would've been tempted to use it. I do think that WWE is is great program, though!! I know that the skills she is learning with it are essential. CW Primer looks is tempting because it also includes nature and picture study.

I'm so torn! Currently, we're doing FLL (1st grade) and WWE1. I'm trying to decide for next year if I should stick with FLL (2nd gr section) and WWE2 or switch to the Classical Writing Primers.

Ds and I are both liking FLL and WWE, but I really like what I've seen of the CW Primers, and I've been wanting to incorporate picture & nature study into our days. The primers will do this.

I'm thinking I could do WWE2 & FLL2 and then switch to CW Aesop for 3rd OR should I just go ahead & make the switch to CW in 2nd grade with the Primers?

Will WWE and FLL give ds a strong enough base to switch over to CW?

Any insight would be helpful! I want the most solid (yet gentle) grammar/writing background as possible. Which path would be better?

PS - I'm open to doing WWE all the way through 4, and then switching to CW, but if I did that where would I start him - Homer?

I think it would, but I do not have any experience with CW, as of yet. We have used FLL and some of WWE, I think it lays a strong enough foundation...just from looking at the skills CW covers at that level.

I also believe that if you use FLL and WWE through fourth, you could slide into Homer by fifth, yes.

I have been using the CW Primers alongside CLE LA 3. I have no familiarity with WWE, so I can't compare the two. But, I absolutely love using the Primers. They have correlated well with what we are doing in spelling and grammar, but not with so much as to overload those subjects. The addition of copywork, narration, picture study and nature study has made our LA much richer.

That being said, I think if you enjoy what you're doing and it is working for you, there is no reason to change. Others who have the experience of going from WWE into CW will chime in and say if it is not a good transition, but from all I have heard of it I would think it would be more than fine.

Well I am loving Primers but I use WWE too - at least as a guide. I have my daughter narrate almost everything we do so I don't do extra narration with WWE but I do use it as a guide for our cross-curriculum copywork. I only own the hardcover book - not the workbooks. I try to make sure that at least one or two of the copywork selections I choose each week has the components of the current WWE lesson (proper names, quote etc - whatever the lesson has). That way I can teach the lesson from WWE but still use selections from our readings.

That said - if I had to choose just one - I adore CW Primers. We in the early stages of Winter and my dd just loves the pictures and keeping a moon phase calendar. She was crushed a few days last week when it was too cloudy to see the moon. It's just great.

Heather

Well I am loving Primers but I use WWE too - at least as a guide. I have my daughter narrate almost everything we do so I don't do extra narration with WWE but I do use it as a guide for our cross-curriculum copywork. I only own the hardcover book - not the workbooks. I try to make sure that at least one or two of the copywork selections I choose each week has the components of the current WWE lesson (proper names, quote etc - whatever the lesson has). That way I can teach the lesson from WWE but still use selections from our readings.

That said - if I had to choose just one - I adore CW Primers. We in the early stages of Winter and my dd just loves the pictures and keeping a moon phase calendar. She was crushed a few days last week when it was too cloudy to see the moon. It's just great.

Heather

That sounds lovely! :)