Menu

Will birds really use OJ/Milk container birdhouses?

Or should we build a real one out of wood if we really want birds to move in? And how far away from the food should the house be? I know there is a range for both too far and too close.

We have feed, suet and we'll have water once it warms up, so we want a house as well.

We are also planning on building a little toad garden to hopefully attact/keep some toads to help keep the bugs from the garden. Any suggestions?

Different birds have different requirements. Size of hole is important. Some birds like the opening pointing in a certain direction. Also you might want to consider positioning the bird house were predators can't get to it (cats, etc).

We have one that is quite a way from our house, but it is in a place were we can easily see the birds coming in and out.

I have never heard of making a birdhouse out of a milk carton until I read your post. I did a quick internet search and see that, indeed, there are directions available for making one. (I had only heard of using milk cartons for bird feeders.)

Just my 2 cents as a certified Master Naturalist and an avid bird watcher.

I wouldn't do it.

I don't think the glue on milk/OJ cartons will reliably hold up to the elements, nor is the cardboard sturdy enough. I sure would hate to have a nest full of baby birds tumble down because the cardboard ripped or the glue came loose.

Likewise -- I believe if you go to the trouble of putting up a birdhouse, you need to make it predator proof! Nothing is more distressing than finding a snake or rat eating the eggs or babies.

http://www.wbu.com/education/birdhouses.html

I have never heard of making a birdhouse out of a milk carton until I read your post. I did a quick internet search and see that, indeed, there are directions available for making one. (I had only heard of using milk cartons for bird feeders.)

Just my 2 cents as a certified Master Naturalist and an avid bird watcher.

I wouldn't do it.

I don't think the glue on milk/OJ cartons will reliably hold up to the elements, nor is the cardboard sturdy enough. I sure would hate to have a nest full of baby birds tumble down because the cardboard ripped or the glue came loose.

Likewise -- I believe if you go to the trouble of putting up a birdhouse, you need to make it predator proof! Nothing is more distressing than finding a snake or rat eating the eggs or babies.

http://www.wbu.com/education/birdhouses.html

How about a plastic milk container?

We were at Bass Pro Shop last night and saw one shaped like a fish head. The hole was in the mouth. Kinda creepy if you were to see this little bird fly into the fish's mouth.:tongue_smilie:

We were at Bass Pro Shop last night and saw one shaped like a fish head. The hole was in the mouth. Kinda creepy if you were to see this little bird fly into the fish's mouth.
My own personal opinion: Birdhouses that are shaped like fish, the sun, faces, boats, gnomes, etc., are not natural and are more for the human's enjoyment than the bird. Birds can and will nest practically anywhere. If you put out a 'cute' birdhouse shaped like a fish, sure they may nest in it. But it may not be the best place for them to nest. Most birdhouses like that are sold more for decorative purposes and appeal mainly to sparrows. :tongue_smilie: (The hole size is too large for desirable cavity nesting birds and they have a perch of some sort that is not needed.) They also generally don't have proper drainage or ventilation, nor a proper way to keep out predators.

I personally can't even imagine using a plastic milk container for a birdhouse, so can't/won't comment on that.

Guest mrs. logic
Different birds have different requirements. Size of hole is important. Some birds like the opening pointing in a certain direction. Also you might want to consider positioning the bird house were predators can't get to it (cats, etc).

We have one that is quite a way from our house, but it is in a place were we can easily see the birds coming in and out.

:iagree:

Last year we tried using tea pots for bird houses but because they were colorful/shiny the birds did not nest in them.