Menu

Opinions on ABeka higher math

2cents

I would never recommend it.

You can easily find much better--even TT is WORLDS better...and that is saying a lot!

What makes TT that much better? Just curious, as we're frustrated with math AGAIN! :glare:

dd is currently using ABeka Algebra, and she just. doesn't. get. it. I own TT Algebra (ds used it) but honestly, the ABeka looks like it covers a TON more than TT does.

ds had to take remedial algebra his first semester in college, and they used Lial's Introductory Algebra, so I have that too.

I am DYING to know what you have to say about this! LOL :bigear:

ABeka was designed to be taught by an experienced Math teacher... it is also important that the teacher know when to supplement to bring the program up to current standards (remember they are 1914 Heath Mathematics texts). ABeka's Geometry text is the worst student text I've ever seen.

TT moves slowly and covers the bases--I do not agree with their scope and sequence--Algebra 2 is not complete until 1/2 way through their Pre-Calc book--leaving less than 50 lessons to cover what most other texts put in a 3 semester Pre-Calc text! TT is not 'deep' but it DOES teach the material...

I personally use Lials Introductory Algebra (I'm using the 2006 8th edition paperback in my classes). My daughters used it, and I've taken students on a wide variety of levels through it. I LOVE the teaching in the book and the varitety of the homework sets--especially their organization. I would choose Lial's over TT or ABeka any day--and it is less expensive too (around $20 shipped!).

Hmmm...my dd is being taught by an experienced math teacher via ABeka DVD's. I wonder if I should just supplement with the Lial's (ds has the 9th edition).

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it :)

ABeka was designed to be taught by an experienced Math teacher... it is also important that the teacher know when to supplement to bring the program up to current standards (remember they are 1914 Heath Mathematics texts). ABeka's Geometry text is the worst student text I've ever seen.

TT moves slowly and covers the bases--I do not agree with their scope and sequence--Algebra 2 is not complete until 1/2 way through their Pre-Calc book--leaving less than 50 lessons to cover what most other texts put in a 3 semester Pre-Calc text! TT is not 'deep' but it DOES teach the material...

I personally use Lials Introductory Algebra (I'm using the 2006 8th edition paperback in my classes). My daughters used it, and I've taken students on a wide variety of levels through it. I LOVE the teaching in the book and the varitety of the homework sets--especially their organization. I would choose Lial's over TT or ABeka any day--and it is less expensive too (around $20 shipped!).

I do have to say that my oldest dd has studied Abeka all the way through. However she is in a private school with a math teacher. Having said that she tested in the 99% for math in the beginning of her senior year. I think Abeka can be a very good math if you know how to teach it and if the child gets it. FYI in 8-10 grade she was using Abeka with the DVD teacher and still tested very high in math every year.