Menu

Flashkids Series question plz for those of you who use it:o)

BarbinTN

I checked out the LA tonight at B&N in this series and thought it was pretty cool! The 1st grade book seemed to have a bunch of "usuage" stuff in it which I thought would be great for my boys who often say things like-I wroted it or I getted it kwim?

Would you hesitate to start a 2nd and 3rd grade in the 1st grade book? I have just ordered AG for my dd and if I like it I will plan on using JAG for them when the youngest is in 5th grade.

Also, anyone use the Spelling? It is so colorful and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the LA reinforcement pages at the end of the spelling lesson. I am unsure where I would place them in there as well. My 3rd grader is ready for SWO C and my 2nd grader will be starting SWO A. He just wasn't reading well enough for me to start SWO this year although I could easily start him now.

TIA,

Barb who is skeptical b/c I am not familiar with this series.

recommending it, especially at the younger grades as I haven't looked at the 4th grade and higher books.

I really really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to move down a level or two if you needed to as you can move through the books pretty quickly. I do find though that the overall review within the program is pretty good and you might find it okay to get maybe one level lower rather than two and move through it a little slower.

I actually had the opposite problem and have been very successful in moving my daughter up in grades (she's in K and currently doing Grade 2). We started in Grade 1 in both math and reading comprehension and the approach has been fantastic. Dd5 likes the graphics, stories and I like the way it teaches.

I was actually considering recommending to a friend that she use Singapore Math and Flashbook kids math together as she has concerns about using the SM all by itself and possibly putting her child back in school in a year or so.

I do wish I could give you recommendations for placement in the other subjects. I think that the books are cheap enough though that if you make a mistake in placement it won't be too painful to get the correct book -- that was my philosophy.

I like Flashkids - especially the cost!

I started using it two years ago. My middle dd was in 5th grade then and I started her in the 5th grade LA workbook. She is almost done with the 7th grade LA workbook now.

I started my youngest in Flashkids 2nd grade LA in 2nd grade, but since she's dyslexic, it was too much, too soon. I held off on it until 3rd grade and it worked great then. Now she's in 4th grade and working in the 3rd grade LA workbook.

My youngest used Flashkids Spelling at the 2nd and 3rd grade levels. Once she finished the 3rd grade level, I switched her over to Sequential Spelling (designed for dyslexics) and Megawords (recommended by the tutor I work with).

I haven't used Flashkids for anything else, but I know a LOT of people in my hs group like Flashkids Writing.