Menu

Streaminling my life aka Is there a need for vocab, spellng, readng curr.iculum?

Halcyon

Let's assume your child reads a lot, and well, looks up words in the dictionary too. Let's also assume when you read SOTW or any other book to him, you stop and explain difficult words or look them up. Let's assume the dictionary is always out and you and your child look up new words fairly frequently.

Let's also assume that your child is a great speller, rarely makes mistakes and when they're pointed out, can 'see' what's wrong.

Finally, let's assume you're using a writing program like WWE and a strong Language Arts program. When you read passages together, whether from an encyclopedia or SOTW or what have you, you always spend time discussing the passage, it's meaning, different perspectives, etc.

In this case, do you think having a separate vocab, spelling and/or reading comprehension program to be necessary, or do you think these subjects can be assumed to be well-incorporated/integrated into your other subjects? We are trying to simplify our schooling life and I am wondering what you all think about this.

Edited by Halcyon

and a strong Language Arts program.
If I was doing an inclusive LA program, I wouldn't be doing each LA component. I only do vocab, spelling and reading according to what is necessary for the particular child. I haven't done any spelling program with my 7th grade dd this year; we only did spelling one year. She is a strong natural speller and it seemed to be a waste of time. I also never did a "reading" program with her beyond learning to read. She read early and well and so I just provided the books and sometimes watched/listened as she read aloud.

My son (4th grade) is doing separate programs for vocab, spelling, writing and grammar. He reads to me as his "reading program" and I read to him for Literature. I'm not currently doing a LA program because I'm doing all those components separately (and there's only so many hours, right?)

Your child is still young, and I think you would be fine to wait about specific studies/workbooks for these things. My son, who is 9, just started wordly wise this year, and will not start a spelling book until next year (although he does do Explode the Code for phonics reinforcement, and I test him on some of the words). Once your children are able to work more independently, it will be easy to add these (if you fill they need it).

I think you are covering many bases already. I would simplify, simplify, simplify!

I don't use a vocabulary program, but I do use the dictionary, and keep it out on the table for use during the day, just as you have described. We do the exact same thing, and it's working fine for us.

I also think you're doing great with reading and discussion as is. I am rereading my copy of the 1st edition of WTM, and these are the things I am implementing into our school day. Keep it simple, but cover the bases solidly and you should be fine.

In this case, do you think having a separate vocab, spelling and/or reading comprehension program to be necessary, or do you think these subjects can be assumed to be well-incorporated/integrated into your other subjects?

No and yes. :) No, not necessary and yes I know that they are well incorporated into our other subjects. I have a 7 yr old too and we are not doing a spelling or vocab or reading program this year, other than what I do on my own. I looked at the spelling, but the grade level ones she did not need. So instead we focus on the vocab in our reading by discussing the words, and occasionally writing a definition in her subject narrations. For spelling, we practice any tricky words I see her having trouble with and do dictations. She is still learning advanced phonics rules, which teaches spelling, and reading is covered WTM way by reading good books and writing narrations across the curriculum.

I don't think that you ever need a vocabulary program or a reading comprehension program for an avid reader, especially if you are researching new words as a matter of course. I do think that at 7yo, you need some sort of spelling program. A child may be a great speller at a lower level and then hit a wall when the words become more difficult. Many people prefer to do spelling CM style, and this might be a good option for you. My personal preference is something that is more phonics-driven.

Thanks everyone. We're going to probably finish Worldly Wise B slowly and gently, and use Spelling Wisdom for dictation/spelling. K12.com, the program we're phasing out of, uses pretty extensive reading comp questions for their literature program, and I think it's sapping DS' love of reading, so we're just going to talk about what he's reading in a general, fun way like over dinner. I think k12 might unintentionally be sapping the joy out of his directed reading because he knows there are going to be a whole bunch of questions and narratives at the end of each section.