Menu

Yet more writing advice wanted...

Siobhan NZ

I've been reading the posts about Classical Writing, IEW, Writing Tales etc with interest over the last month or so...but could still do with some advice.

I have strong reader/writers (girls aged 9/11 - no idea what grade they would be) but we've never done any formal writing programme, just lots of copywork, then narration, narration, narration (following WTM/CM principles) relating usually to history.

Now however, we are living in urban Asia, in an apartment-type house and no outdoor area to play etc. I'm wanting to 'up' the school work, partly because my kids are keen learners, but also because there is little else to do.

So now I'm looking for a formal writing programme - but I don't have reluctant writers. They're pretty confident already and need some formal guidance and 'stretching' in this area. (I also have a 5 & 7 yr old coming behind them). Which programme could you recommend for our context? I should also say we've done very little formal grammar, but the girls have started latin which is helping in that area also.

All comments appreciated, and I'm sorry if people are having to repeat themselves! (I confess to really missing my old copy of WTM - in was just too big to fit into our extremely limited luggage space....sniff, sniff...but I sure could do with it!)

Thanks, Siobhan (pron. Shivaughn)

I don't really have much advice for you with the writing, except to say that I plan to switch my kids to MCT's Language Arts, specifically in order to improve their writing. If you're interested in it, there have been several informative threads on it in the last couple of months. And, I personally would rather eat ground glass than use IEW for writing. Others do love it, though, especially if they are not confident writers themselves. Your mileage may vary, though, as always.

But mainly, I want to say:

:DYou have the same name as my sister!!!:D

I would absolutely recommend Classical Writing. First of all you have done exactly what is recommended prior to CW - copywork and narration. That's great. CW does 'up' the requirements. It includes grammar. I have been very happy with it and my now 14 year old is reaping the benefits of this wonderfuly program. My second daughter is in Homer now and it's going well for her too. I love their poetry program as well.

Heather

Yeah, I know what you mean about the spelling. The worst mispronunciation my sister ever got was "soybean.":confused::confused: It doesn't even LOOK like soybean.

Anyway, I think IEW is formulaic to the nth degree. Take this idea, use this many adjectives, this many adverbs, and poof, you have a sentence. What this doesn't address is making the best word choice rather than the "coolest" word choice; also often less is more, so adding more words is not necessarily preferable. I don't know--if just feels incredibly juvenile to teach what is basically a template instead of how to interact with language in a meaningful way. And, honestly, it irritates me that Pudewa, who has no degree, no qualifications, has set himself up as an authority on excellence in writing. I can't buy it. I have heard him speak, and he IS a charismatic and compelling speaker--however, that does not automatically translate to having a gift for, or expertise in, written expression.

Also, I have heard from other HSing parents whose children are in, or are approaching, the college application process, that they have been told by admissions officers that colleges which receive a large number of HS applicants can tell an IEW student's essay a mile off. This suggests to me that there is a great emphasis on and preference for uniformity in the structure of the program, rather than on helping the students to develop their own "voices" and styles, which I think is unfortunate.

I am not trying to bash anyone here who uses IEW--if it's working well for their family, more power to them! I am only explaining my own reservations about the program and why I won't be using it with my own children. :001_smile: Happy writing!

There's not too many of us....you can imagine what trouble I have in Asia. The name itself it hard enough to pronounce, but the spelling makes it soooo confusing. Thanks for your thoughts. Why don't you like IEW?