Menu

I just got Classical Writing Aesop

Luanne

and I am trying to makes sense of it. Either it is very complicated or I am just not seeing something. I am very tempted to just not use it, try to resell it, and go with something different for writing and grammar.

Any suggestions? :confused:

I felt the same way at first look. It took me several read throughs and a VERY slow start with it, but half way through Aesop A, I am finally feeling like I am getting it.

Honestly, it took looking through Homer to finally feel like I had the vision.

What I realized is I was trying to make it too hard. Aesop A is really a gentle introduction to writing. I kept feeling like I was missing something, but it really is fairly simple once you figure it out.

I highly recommend the student workbooks, I don't think I would have survived the learning curve without them.

HTH

Cindy in NY

and I am trying to makes sense of it. Either it is very complicated or I am just not seeing something. I am very tempted to just not use it, try to resell it, and go with something different for writing and grammar.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Pay attention to the block diagrams. Those are the big ideas, and it lays out Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5.

Keep in mind they cover LA then the Core books comes back around and covers writing, so if you are looking for the writing part, it is coming.

If needed outline it.

Heather

ditto the workbooks, it does take some time up front and the workbook allowed me to see it all laid out.

It isn't to hard to do- I think there is so much information in the Aesop TM that it is hard to figure out how it is going to *look* (even with the charts in the back), I felt overwhelmed. I had waaay to many questions. Once I got the workbook, it all became clear, I really needed to see it put together in the twelve week plan before it made sense to me. I had to laugh at myself. I think I just made it more complicated then it really is. We are using the workbooks for Aesop B and I'm also planning to get the workbook for Homer. I'm not happy about the added $, but its worth it for me because I love the program.

If you do not want to get the workbook- look carefully at the samples on their website. Feel free to ask me specific questions.

Are you looking at just the core book right now? Did you get the workbook and IG as well? I'm trying to see where you are before I offer any possible guidance. I found the program fairly intimidating at first too. It does take some time to get use to it. I became more comfortable after I worked through the first couple of models from the workbook along with the IG.

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 3

Science: Apologia Zoo 1; God's Design Weather & Water

LA: Classical Writing Aesop B; Junior Analytical Grammar; SWR; Old SL LA K, 2

Math: Singapore and Right Start

Siloam - Heather -

I just noticed the tag in your signature. I'm thinking of doing many of the same things as you next year and have been wondering if it is too much. I would be doing SWR, R & S grammar (instead of JAG), WT 1 (instead of CW), science, Right Start math, and Biblioplan (instead of Tapestry of Grace). We would also do Bible, memory, Latin, and piano. Do you do any of those subjects? Do you feel your schedule is very do-able? Any thoughts or advice? :) Mainly, I felt glad to see someone else was doing all of those subjects as well!

Luanne,

Don't drop it yet. I'm pretty sure you pick CW for a reason. There are plenty of us here that use or have used it and can help you. There is also the CW message boards where we've all gotten plenty of help.

Okay, some have already asked if you have the workbooks. This is because they do walk you through it on a daily basis. However workbook or not the routine is basically the same. There are two parts to each day (IF you do one of CW weeks in one of your weeks.... some actually take two weeks per CW week of work). One part is the Annalysis & Immitation (A&I) and the other part is Writing. Each week you use one model for both the A&I and the writing project.

The A&I part has a different focus for each day of the 4 day week. Each and every week has the same focus for those days. So "day 1" will always focus on reading the new model, going over pronunciation, etc. "Day 2" will always focus on Words... in Aesop you will work on spelling words from the model. There is a different focus for Day 3 and another for Day 4. Now, so you don't do the same thing with each model all year, CW has graduated levels for each day's focus. For example, on Day 3 (grammar? or sentence focus?) you might work on parts of speech in the beginning weeks but get to do diagramming near the end of Aesop. This part is where I find the workbooks really helpful since they spread out the levels for you. (Then again, doing it without the workbooks allows you to move your kids up the levels at their pace.) Each of the levels (per "day") are spelled out in the Aesop book so you don't have to guess... however this is where many get a bit lost if they missed the big picture.

Starting on DAY 1 or Day 2, you also begin your writing project (unless you are taking 2 weeks per model, in which case you might begin your writing project on the 2nd week). This work is not actually broken down into days because all kids work differently. There IS a simple list or guideline with an order to follow for all writing projects. There is also a basic rubic for editing the paper. The writing projects gradually change over the course. It is a gentle introduction to narrative writing. Again the workbooks space out the levels of the writing projects for you. If you read thru the CW Aesop book you will see that the writing projects don't get very difficult. This gives the kids a good chance to become really comfortable writing these types of papers. Check out the CW message board; they have one board where users share their child's writing projects. You can get lots of ideas on what different kids of different ages produced for the various writing projects.

hth

PS just ask if you have any questions.

Siloam - Heather -

I just noticed the tag in your signature. I'm thinking of doing many of the same things as you next year and have been wondering if it is too much. I would be doing SWR, R & S grammar (instead of JAG), WT 1 (instead of CW), science, Right Start math, and Biblioplan (instead of Tapestry of Grace). We would also do Bible, memory, Latin, and piano. Do you do any of those subjects? Do you feel your schedule is very do-able? Any thoughts or advice? :) Mainly, I felt glad to see someone else was doing all of those subjects as well!

Kathy,

I haven't forgotten or missed you, just been busy. :D

Yes it is doable, but it isn't easy. That is the short answer.

Long answer: generally I work one on one with the kids they we do science and history together. For me it is a 4-5 hour day, because of all the time I spend one on one, but for the kids it is much less. Because I also need time to clean and buy groceries we take Friday's off.

The challenge you will have that I don't as much is keeping the younger children occupied. I had that problem early on, but now that the youngest is 5 it really isn't an issue. He plays with the RS manipulatives a lot, or Legos or with his sisters. The advantage you have on me is that because your kids are a bit farther spaced it will take longer till you are hsing all of them, and by then your oldest might be fairly independent (that is still a year and a half away for me). I think the next few years might the be the most difficult here.

I do Bible separate for each of the kids right now, but I am looking into Lamp and Quill so we can work together. Right now my oldest does one story a day out of Vos and daily devotions out of Keys for Kids, my 8yo does two stories a day out of The Picture Bible, my 6yo does two stories a day out of The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes and my ds does one story a day out of The Beginner's Bible. They all do memorization, but at their own pace. We cover 1 new and review 2 verses a day.

Latin I am just introducing to my oldest this summer/fall. I have purchased Lively Latin and Minimus. The first will be our base done 3 days a week and the second will be done the last day of the week.

Piano I something I want to cover but just hasn't happened yet. Given my oldest is old enough to do a self study I am considering just buying a program for her to do independently. I know that means they end up with...quirks...well bad habits that they just didn't know any better to be able to avoid, but at this rate at lest she would feel comfortable around a piano. Both dh and I play guitar and sometime later we will also introduce that.

In the end dh and I are pretty committed to hs, so having a messy house on a bad week is not a big deal to us. In addition we aren't heavily involved in things outside of the home. Besides basic church functions, we only do swimming lessons. If you have a busy life style, you might find the schedule you are contemplating difficult to keep up with.

Blessings,

Heather

It took some time to get comfortable with the program. The Instructor's Guide and Student Workbook helped a lot. I actually feel comfortable enough now that I won't be using the SW for Aesop B.

Its not the easiest program to implement but I stick with it b/c my daughter's writing has improved by leaps and bounds even though I stumbled through the early lessons. For me the proof was in the pudding.