Menu

Looking for help with Shakespeare's Sonnets

Greta

My dd and I are reading Nesbit's and Lamb's versions of Shakespeare's plays for our literature this year. I thought we should also read a few of the sonnets, so that she gets a feel for his language, but without taking on an entire play (we'll do that with Midsummer Night's Dream next year, though). The problem is, I don't know where to start or how to go about it. Which sonnets are the ones to read? Or which ones are best for a child? *I* may need some help with interpretation/commentary as background before reading them to her, to make sure I understand what I'm reading! Does anyone know of any websites that could help?

Sonnet 65 has a single straightforward message, sounds lovely outloud, and has nice metaphors and images. I memorized it as a kid and remember just belting out "wreckful seige of battering days". Note where the sound is made in the mouth line by line. The first lines hiss, summer and honey are breathy and from deep down, and the line quoted above is done with nipping front teeth and active lips. I'm sure someone else has thought that idea up, but it was all mine when I was 10. :D

http://www.bartleby.com/106/4.html

Sonnet 65 has a single straightforward message, sounds lovely outloud, and has nice metaphors and images. I memorized it as a kid and remember just belting out "wreckful seige of battering days". Note where the sound is made in the mouth line by line. The first lines hiss, summer and honey are breathy and from deep down, and the line quoted above is done with nipping front teeth and active lips. I'm sure someone else has thought that idea up, but it was all mine when I was 10. :D

http://www.bartleby.com/106/4.html

That's really cool! Wonder if my dd might like to memorize it too. Thanks!