Menu

Good Civil War re-enactments?

We are traveling East to DC area (from Wisconsin) SOMETIME between April and October.

Everything else we want to visit is open during that time, but I know re-enactments are not usually an every day occurrence. :) So we will likely schedule our trip around a re-enactment.

Any "favorites"? Any that we should avoid for.....whatever reasons? (Crowded, hard to see, etc.) Costs? Tips?

We don't have a specific route planned, and this will probably be our ONLY full family vacation - so if you know of a place somewhat out of the way even but it is worth the trip - please share!

We have five kids from age 15 to 5 (4 boys and a girl). The boys are really into the war part of history and I think this would be a neat way to "experience" what it was like.

We are traveling East to DC area (from Wisconsin) SOMETIME between April and October.

Everything else we want to visit is open during that time, but I know re-enactments are not usually an every day occurrence. :) So we will likely schedule our trip around a re-enactment.

Any "favorites"? Any that we should avoid for.....whatever reasons? (Crowded, hard to see, etc.) Costs? Tips?

We don't have a specific route planned, and this will probably be our ONLY full family vacation - so if you know of a place somewhat out of the way even but it is worth the trip - please share!

We have five kids from age 15 to 5 (4 boys and a girl). The boys are really into the war part of history and I think this would be a neat way to "experience" what it was like.

What about Living History days that are more varied? We went to one not far from Annapolis a few years back. It had everything from Romans (and a few Dacians to fight) to East German military with vikings, various US military, Napoleonic Wars, musketeers etc. It was really cool. And since there wasn't a battle recreation, we were able to wander around and chat people up. (This was around 2003, so the info is a little dated, but we had a great time and I'd go again if I were in the area.)

The event we attended is Marching Through Time at Marietta House. But I also found some other good results by searching living history encampment and a state name.

My dh is a big Civil War buff and we've been to most historic sites and several reenactments out here (we don't live far out of DC).

You really can't top the annual reenactment at Gettysburg (about 90 minutes from DC), which is always the first week of July. http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/. We've made a whole event of it before--brought along our DVD of the movie and watched it back at the hotel in between events/battles. There's a good crowd, but not so packed that you can't "enjoy" the battles or all the other wonderful activities going on. In addition to all the special events going, you can go on your own and do driving tours of the various battle sites throughout the area.

Further south, a little south of Richmond, VA, in Petersburg (2 hours from DC), is our other favorite site. http://www.pamplinpark.org/. Even though it's a fairly sizeable property and battlefield (with several hikes you can take), it always FEELS smaller and personal. They have reenactors everywhere who will answer questions in character. It won't be as grand as the battles at Gettysburg--but definitely worth visiting too, if you have the time.

Glad you're coming! Feel free to PM if I can help with other questions. :)

You really can't top the annual reenactment at Gettysburg (about 90 minutes from DC), which is always the first week of July.

:iagree:I don't know how you plan to travel, but I know campgrounds around Gettysburg book up for that time, so I would think that hotels might get pretty crowded as well. If you want recommendatations, feel free to PM me.

Also, in case you are interested, Easton, PA has a nice celebration the weekend following July 4th, called Heritage Day. The Declaration of Independence was read in Easton on July 8, 1776. This is of course Revolutionary War, but they have different buildings open as well as a small encampment. A couple years ago when we were there I was asked to shoot off a cannon! Not very big, but certainly unique.

Edited by JoyfulMama

Okay, so from the 20 minute look through the Gettysburg site, it looks like people go and stay there for DAYS at a time? Is it possible to just go for a one day event and keep traveling? We just kind of have time for a "taste" of what it was like, not many days. Or is that just kind of missing the point? What do you guys think? And if we were to pick a day - what would be the battle we'd REALLY want to see? (Last day? First?)

I just can't even really PICTURE what this is all like. It seems HUGE and a little crazy and overwhelming! :)

• 2 months later...