Menu

Jacob's Geometry OR Chalkdust Geometry??

Wondering what the difference is between:

Jacob's Geometry (3rd Ed) used in conjunction with Ask Dr. Callahan DVDs.

Chalkdust Geometry DVD set used with the '95 traditional Heath textbook (set)

* Which DVD teacher is better? Style of teaching?

* Heath textbook vs Jacob's textbook?

* Which answer key is easier to use with a clear line by line explanation of how to get the correct answer?? ;) LOL

* Support is better with which company?

Thanks!!

I'm teaching out of Jacobs 3rd edition this year..

Jacobs 3e is a HANDS ON program. Much of the teaching is done within the problem sets--so skipping problems can be tricky. You will not find practical practice problems--you know 5 problems in a row that are similar... NOPE not in Jacobs! Jacobs is great if you think like Jacobs... he takes the students through HIS reasoning processes... a good model--but not all students think this way or can extrapulate concepts through this method. The video lessons help--but again this program is NOT standard or traditional---more than hands on--I'd really call it DISCOVERY.

Chalkdust uses a traditiona PS text book. It will have more proofs and lots more application. Problems will look more like what the students will see on the SAT tests--but it is NOT an easy program (Jacobs is NOT easy either for different reasons!).

If you want a more detailed solutions manual then you should go with Chalkdust...

---

I've chosen Holt Geometry 2007 for my online classes next fall. The actual text book is visually busy--but the supplemental materials in the Teacher's One Step Planner set are WONDERFUL. It is more 'algebra heavy'--meaning the students WILL not forget their Algebra 1, Dr Burger from Thinkwell is the main author and he also made the FREE online videos for the program. The only downside for homeschooling parents is that the One Step Planner (TE plus suppplements, test bank... in cd format) is difficult to find at a reasonable cost if you are not a teacher (it is possible though) and again, unless you are an experienced Geometry teacher it would be DIFFICULT to plan from since you have so many choices and you really have to decide for yourself what you will cover and what you will skip.

I have taught Jacobs (2nd ed), CD's Larson geo, and the new CD geo. My ds hated Jacobs b/c it was so "chatty." He didn't like the presentation at all. He (and my kids in general) prefer plain instruction and leave them to figure the rest out. He begged to switch to the Larson text that his older brother had used. We did and he was much happier.

Larson's text is pretty much your typical high school math text layout. It is fine.

My personal preference is the new geo program. It is very thorough and the teaching is clear and precise.

We used Chalkdust Geometry for our oldest when she was in 10th grade, and I thought that the program was excellent, overall. She had to re-do one chapter because she didn't understand the material very well, but she did much better with Chalkdust than with any other program.

When she had to re-do that one chapter, I kind of "panicked" and bought Jacob's Geometry, along with the Ask Dr. Callahan math DVD's. My panic was a bit ill-founded (although I tend to be a bit math-phobic), but I did sit down and watch a couple of the lessons with Dr. Callahan. I can't comment on the Jacob's textbook, because we honestly didn't get very far along in it, but I can comment on my impressions with Dr. Callahan's DVD's. Now, it could be that his actual math instruction is just fine, but the DVD quality was not nearly as good as the quality with the Chalkdust program. In addition, Dr. Callahan had the tendency to stand in front of the problems, which of course made it difficult to read what he was writing on the board. In comparison, Dana Moseley is an excellent teacher, funny (not saying that Dr. Callahan isn't), and is able to write the math problems and solutions on the chalkboard in such a way that it's very understandable for the student.

So, don't consider my comments a comprehensive review, because they're not. I can say good things about Chalkdust, but only give you my impressions about the Dr. Callahan DVD's.

Also, should you choose either program, I'd recommend having your child do what my daughter decided to do on her own: she would first just listen and watch the Chalkdust lesson. Then, she'd watch the lesson again, that time taking notes. Then she would tackle the problem sets. Of course, this suggestion depends upon how quickly your student understands the material, but this method seemed to help my daughter the most.

HTH!

I've chosen Holt Geometry 2007 for my online classes next fall. The actual text book is visually busy--but the supplemental materials in the Teacher's One Step Planner set are WONDERFUL. It is more 'algebra heavy'--meaning the students WILL not forget their Algebra 1, Dr Burger from Thinkwell is the main author and he also made the FREE online videos for the program. The only downside for homeschooling parents is that the One Step Planner (TE plus suppplements, test bank... in cd format) is difficult to find at a reasonable cost if you are not a teacher (it is possible though) and again, unless you are an experienced Geometry teacher it would be DIFFICULT to plan from since you have so many choices and you really have to decide for yourself what you will cover and what you will skip.

Jann,

Thanks for the advice! If the teacher's manual is unavailable... how does the format for tutoring work? Daily sessions via computer? Wondering... :confused:

We used Chalkdust Geometry for our oldest when she was in 10th grade, and I thought that the program was excellent, overall. She had to re-do one chapter because she didn't understand the material very well, but she did much better with Chalkdust than with any other program.

When she had to re-do that one chapter, I kind of "panicked" and bought Jacob's Geometry, along with the Ask Dr. Callahan math DVD's. My panic was a bit ill-founded (although I tend to be a bit math-phobic), but I did sit down and watch a couple of the lessons with Dr. Callahan. I can't comment on the Jacob's textbook, because we honestly didn't get very far along in it, but I can comment on my impressions with Dr. Callahan's DVD's. Now, it could be that his actual math instruction is just fine, but the DVD quality was not nearly as good as the quality with the Chalkdust program. In addition, Dr. Callahan had the tendency to stand in front of the problems, which of course made it difficult to read what he was writing on the board. In comparison, Dana Moseley is an excellent teacher, funny (not saying that Dr. Callahan isn't), and is able to write the math problems and solutions on the chalkboard in such a way that it's very understandable for the student.

So, don't consider my comments a comprehensive review, because they're not. I can say good things about Chalkdust, but only give you my impressions about the Dr. Callahan DVD's.

Also, should you choose either program, I'd recommend having your child do what my daughter decided to do on her own: she would first just listen and watch the Chalkdust lesson. Then, she'd watch the lesson again, that time taking notes. Then she would tackle the problem sets. Of course, this suggestion depends upon how quickly your student understands the material, but this method seemed to help my daughter the most.

HTH!

Thanks! I previewed the Dr. Callahan video and my first impression was would my kid sit through this? Son is special needs/Asperger's and keeping up with the pace of a regular class would be hard on his dysgraphia. He is bright and picks up math concepts easily. But needs a self-paced course or tutor. I'm looking to outsource for next year as already I am frustrated with using TT: Algebra I and seeing some "gaps" in the curriculum. I'm supplementing with Keys to Algebra for simple review and hopefully ALEKS by Feb... but will trudge thru TT and switch over to something new for next year. We used TT for the last 2 years. Son dislikes the DVDs and prefers to read the text. I like the DVDs. Son needs to be able to sit through a basic lecture just for the study skills, IMO.

The Chalkdust preview got my interest as the teacher cracked a joke (which my kid loves) and it was very easy to see the boardwork. I got the impression the Chalkdust teacher was more comfortable in front of the camera and knew Geometry very well. Trying to plan for next year. Auuugh. :D The price of the sets from both companies are giving me a heart attack. Yowza. :001_huh:

Edited by tex-mex

I was able to get a copy of the TE/Supplements (One Step Planner)... but there very few of these available. Amazon.com has one 'New' one and 2 used---one item listed in the 'New' section is NOT the same thing so make sure you read descriptions. ISBN is 0030781043 for the One Step Planner (the cd set includes the TE, solutions, practice and reteaching worksheets and all answers, lots of other supplements, tests and a test generator...) so many things that it is a bit much to wade through at first--but it makes it easier to taylor each section/chapter to the students you are working with.

As far as tutoring goes I meet with each class once a week for about 1.5 hours. I send the class an e-mail link and they click on it to get into our meeting 'room'. I do not use video--just the whiteboard interface. I set up a conference call and the students call in so class is conducted in 'real time'. I go over material and assign homework. I grade all tests. My students are encouraged to e-mail me anytime they have questions. If there is enough interest I'm considering offering a twice per week 'honors' level Geometry course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jann

I was able to get a copy of the TE/Supplements (One Step Planner)... but there very few of these available. Amazon.com has one 'New' one and 2 used---one item listed in the 'New' section is NOT the same thing so make sure you read descriptions. ISBN is 0030781043 for the One Step Planner (the cd set includes the TE, solutions, practice and reteaching worksheets and all answers, lots of other supplements, tests and a test generator...) so many things that it is a bit much to wade through at first--but it makes it easier to taylor each section/chapter to the students you are working with.

As far as tutoring goes I meet with each class once a week for about 1.5 hours. I send the class an e-mail link and they click on it to get into our meeting 'room'. I do not use video--just the whiteboard interface. I set up a conference call and the students call in so class is conducted in 'real time'. I go over material and assign homework. I grade all tests. My students are encouraged to e-mail me anytime they have questions. If there is enough interest I'm considering offering a twice per week 'honors' level Geometry course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jann

Thanks Jann for the info on looking into Amazon! Your class sounds VERY tempting!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Could you use the new CD geometry textbook without the dvds? I'm not looking for a video curriculum, but I am looking for a textbook that does a complete of explaining vs. expecting a teacher to give a complete lesson. I'm happy to come alongside my dd, but I would like there to be good teaching in the textbook.

I have taught Jacobs (2nd ed), CD's Larson geo, and the new CD geo. My ds hated Jacobs b/c it was so "chatty." He didn't like the presentation at all. He (and my kids in general) prefer plain instruction and leave them to figure the rest out. He begged to switch to the Larson text that his older brother had used. We did and he was much happier.

Larson's text is pretty much your typical high school math text layout. It is fine.

My personal preference is the new geo program. It is very thorough and the teaching is clear and precise.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...