Menu

NY homeschoolers, reporting questions

rafiki

When I write out my IHIP I list titles of books or other materials that I plan to use "subject to unforseen circumstances". If, for some reason I need to change materials I can later.

When I write my quarterlies, I use chapter headings from the texts or TM's to give a brief list of what we covered that quarter. I've never listed titles of books read for literature or history each quarter(partly because I feel like that would be boasting, "See how many books child A has read; she's so smart." But mostly because no one has ever asked.) For something like LA, I might write that Child B does weekly lessons in dictation, narration, writing short summaries, daily spelling lessons, weekly vocabulary, grammar, punctuation, and reads daily. My school district doesn't need or want the minute details; they just want to know that I am doing spelling because that is what the state requires. My quarterlies have gradually gotten shorter over the years and the powers that be haven't remarked on it. Also, I try to keep in mind that the more I give them, the more they might expect from someone else. It isn't fair to someone hsing after me who probably won't hs the same way that I do.

I don't put specific books in my IHIP. For my third grader I basically use the list from the World Book Enclyclopdia website

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum. For my 8th grader I use the same website, along with the table of contents for the math and science books I plan to use. Even if I switch books I am still pretty much covering the same things. For history I put in something really general (we will be covering U.S. and world history from 1850-present). Both kids have spiral bound assignment books, so when I write my quarterly reports I look at the assignment books and can see exactly what they covered, what books they read, etc. I don't list a lot of specific books in the quarterly reports either, just the topics covered. This blog has some great samples: http://homeschoolinginnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2005/08/sample-ihip-4th-grade.html

Amy

When I write reports I write, "XYZ will be covered using various materials which MAY include Growing with Grammar, MCT, copywork/dictation." General general general. Then just put some specifics on the quarterly report. And, honestly, I don't know if they read them. One year I left off MATH, yep Math, and no one even noticed. This year I changed history and so I just wrote that we decided to study XYZ in history, delaying Am. History for 3rd quarter.

For my IHIP I list the course and the name of the material I am using to cover that course. Period..

Example:

Math: Singapore Math Level 4

History: Sonlight American History Core 4

etc.

Our district sends a form to use for quarterlies if we want to use it. It only asks for name of course, materials used, % of expected content actually covered, hours of instruction, grade.

If i have changed materials since submitting the IHIP I just list the name of the new material. % of content covered is always 100% because I don't make out lesson plans, I'm a do the next thing kind of girl. I don't list hours of instruction for individual courses until 8th grade, I just list the total for all courses for the whole quarter. And then the grade for each course. It is short and sweet, takes me 15 minutes to fill out 3.

If you would like a copy of the form I can try to scan it and send it to you. Both districts I have lived in have used it.

The only thing they could complain about with that quarterly report is the requirement of a description of the material covered in each course listed in the IHIP. Otherwise it covers all the requirements.

Like I said, my district doesn't seem to care about a description of the material used. It's own form only asks for the name of the material used.

I am really surprised by the quarerly sample: http://homeschoolinginnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2005/08/sample-quarterly-report.html They really accept this?

I am surprised, too, as it does not meet the requirements listed in the Part 100.10 regulations, specifically "a description of the material covered in each subject listed in the IHIP" and "either a grade for the child in each subject or a written narrative evaluating the child's progress." Having said that, I know districts vary greatly in what they require. I'm from upstate NY and some nearby districts don't even look at anything submitted, whereas others go through things with a fine-toothed comb.

She covers the "grade or written narrative" with

_______ is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter.

It is short and to the point but it does address the child's progress and that is all that is required.

I have to politely disagree that the statement is all that is required, because the regs. clearly state that the quarterlies must give "a grade or narrative for the child in each subject." I know, for many districts around me, a generic "progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter" would never fly, in the same way a public school would never get away with sending a report card home that stated, "so and so is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter."

I have to politely disagree that the statement is all that is required, because the regs. clearly state that the quarterlies must give "a grade or narrative for the child in each subject." I know, for many districts around me, a generic "progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter" would never fly, in the same way a public school would never get away with sending a report card home that stated, "so and so is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter."

Daybreaking, I've used this for 5 years with absolutely no problem or so much as a question. My district appreciates the brevity. I am in NYC where we have over 3000 homeschoolers. Many parents use this format and have thanked me for saving them hours and hours each quarter. I have even been invited to present my paperwork to new homeschoolers to alleviate that fear all NY homeschoolers initially have after looking at the regulations (in fact I have another presentation coming up soon). The NYC Central Office of Homeschooing regularly reads my blog and the only comment they've ever left was about updating a zip code on one of my paperwork samples. I consistently receive congratulatory compliance letters, too.

I know it's minimal but these formats work for me and for dozens of other NY parents (could even be hundreds based on the number of emails I get) - from NYC, Long Island, and everywhere north. It's OK to disagree. To each her own. :D

We have actually fought this one out on Long Island long ago.

The regulation actually reads, "either a grade for the child in each subject OR a written narrative evaluating the child's progress."

So if you choose to give a grade, they want one for each subject. If you choose to do a narrative it can be all encompassing. You do not need a narrative evaluation for each subject.

Daybreaking, I've used this for 5 years with absolutely no problem or so much as a question. My district appreciates the brevity. I am in NYC where we have over 3000 homeschoolers. Many parents use this format and have thanked me for saving them hours and hours each quarter. I have even been invited to present my paperwork to new homeschoolers to alleviate that fear all NY homeschoolers initially have after looking at the regulations (in fact I have another presentation coming up soon). The NYC Central Office of Homeschooing regularly reads my blog and the only comment they've ever left was about updating a zip code on one of my paperwork samples. I consistently receive congratulatory compliance letters, too.

I know it's minimal but these formats work for me and for dozens of other NY parents (could even be hundreds based on the number of emails I get) - from NYC, Long Island, and everywhere north. It's OK to disagree. To each her own. :D

My statements were not at all meant as a personal criticism, but rather to make the point that for some districts, at least in the area of upstate NY where I live, the forms would not be sufficient. I'm happy it's working for you and others. That's great and I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, not all districts are as "easy-going." I know of several families near me, who reside in districts which thoroughly review paperwork, that have had their materials returned and told they were insufficient. (At the same time, others near me reside in districts who don't even notice if quarterlies are submitted at all, showing the difference among districts.)

Again, I'm glad what you are doing is working for you and that your district is satisfied. I'm sure that alleviates a lot of burden for you. My experience is different, but that is to be expected when homeschooling compliance is verified on a district, rather than a state, level.

My statements were not at all meant as a personal criticism, but rather to make the point that for some districts, at least in the area of upstate NY where I live, the forms would not be sufficient. I'm happy it's working for you and others. That's great and I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, not all districts are as "easy-going." I know of several families near me, who reside in districts which thoroughly review paperwork, that have had their materials returned and told they were insufficient. (At the same time, others near me reside in districts who don't even notice if quarterlies are submitted at all, showing the difference among districts.)

Again, I'm glad what you are doing is working for you and that your district is satisfied. I'm sure that alleviates a lot of burden for you. My experience is different, but that is to be expected when homeschooling compliance is verified on a district, rather than a state, level.

I didn't take it as a personal attack. I was responding to this statement from you: "I am surprised, too, as it does not meet the requirements listed in the Part 100.10 regulations". Because it's not true.

The problem lies in the fact that many districts take it upon themselves to overstep and ask for things not actually in the regulations. This can be caused by the over-eager parents who can't wait to prove how much better they're doing than the public schools, so they send pages and pages of stuff they've covered. This tends to set the paperwork-sending bar higher for other parents. This is also caused by district personnel who just have no clue. When parents blindly accept that they have to provide this or that even when the regulations don't ask for it, it creates new rules and that district becomes known as "strict".

Not that this is happening in your particular district, but it's terribly rampant around the state. 20 miles away from me in New Jersey, there aren't these ridiculous regulations. And each distrit in NY interprets the regulations in its own way. Why is that? The truth is you absolutely can be very minimal with your paperwork. I even knew of one woman who used my sample in her "strict" district and sent a highlighted copy of the regulations along with it. She was confident and proved to them she knew what she was doing. They never bothered her again.

There are certainly those districts who thrive on giving parents a hard time. I made mention of that under my quarterly sample - that a district may in fact ask for more info, and I offer other suggestions. Thankfully, these are not the majority.

I didn't take it as a personal attack. I was responding to this statement from you: "I am surprised, too, as it does not meet the requirements listed in the Part 100.10 regulations". Because it's not true.

The problem lies in the fact that many districts take it upon themselves to overstep and ask for things not actually in the regulations. This can be caused by the over-eager parents who can't wait to prove how much better they're doing than the public schools, so they send pages and pages of stuff they've covered. This tends to set the paperwork-sending bar higher for other parents. This is also caused by district personnel who just have no clue. When parents blindly accept that they have to provide this or that even when the regulations don't ask for it, it creates new rules and that district becomes known as "strict".

Not that this is happening in your particular district, but it's terribly rampant around the state. 20 miles away from me in New Jersey, there aren't these ridiculous regulations. And each distrit in NY interprets the regulations in its own way. Why is that? The truth is you absolutely can be very minimal with your paperwork. I even knew of one woman who used my sample in her "strict" district and sent a highlighted copy of the regulations along with it. She was confident and proved to them she knew what she was doing. They never bothered her again.

There are certainly those districts who thrive on giving parents a hard time. I made mention of that under my quarterly sample - that a district may in fact ask for more info, and I offer other suggestions. Thankfully, these are not the majority.

I hear what you are saying and understand. I'm all for less paperwork (and I know NY is one of the most stringent states) and I, too, have seen districts ask for unnecessary information that isn't listed in the regulations. What I'm unclear about is how the general statement you give meets the requirement of giving a description of the material covered in each subject listed in the IHIP and either a grade for the child in each subject or a written narrative evaluating the child's progress. Perhaps I am wrong, but I would think if a district went so far as to challenge a parent in court, the district would win. This is not to say many districts would go that far. To be truthful, I've been told by other homeschoolers that a lot of districts don't even read the quarterlies, but instead just check them off as completed and then file them.

Anyhow, I won't belabor the point. We have different thoughts on this and that's fine. I just thought I'd respond one more time, to explain why I made my original comment about feeling the form didn't meet the requirements, so you knew my reasoning. Obviously, you've had success using your forms, so its clear that some districts are fine with them.