Menu

Can someone hold my hand and talk about TOG Y2?

Handmaiden

This will be the first time I use TOG, so I'm a newbie. I was going to use the holiday break to plan out Y2, units 1 & 2 only--Middle Ages & Reformation--for the next 6 months.

But life happened (a death in the family and a medical emergency), and my brain is fried! I don't have any energy to go through the guide and plan everything. I'm tempted to toss it and go for another curriculum, but I LOVE the idea of TOG and so want to do it!

I have one logic stage and 2 grammar stage kids. I want to keep TOG doable, in 45-min to 1 hr. daily chunks. Reading a variety of non-fiction, fiction, and definitely want to dig deep into Shakespeare. I'm only using TOG for history and possibly some literature/worldview. Not sure about timeline and maps yet. Will be using MCT for writing.

Can someone please hold my hand and talk through what I need to do first? How do I get started without feeling overwhelmed?

First, determine which level they will do for the first unit (page 6 of this start guide). Don't think of the second unit yet. This should help...

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/de/beta/pdcs/SSG.pdf

then post back. I can send you my assignment sheets as we just finished that unit, if you want. I need to know what levels you have first.

That may help see what a week is like...?

I would strongly recommend starting slowly -- just have your kids do the core history readings at first. Then add in the in-depth readings (if you plan to have your D (dialectic) student do the accountability and thinking questions in the student activity pages). Chat with your kids after they've done their readings to see if they absorbed the main threads for that week (listed at the beginning of each week plan as well as on the left-hand page of the weekly overview). You may want to check and see if they know who the people are listed in the weekly overview pages as well.

In order for you and your D student to actually reap the biggest benefit from Tapestry, you will want to read the history, geography, fine arts teacher notes plus the dialectic discussion guide each week. You can gradually work up to doing the full discussion. I didn't start asking for written answers to the accountability and thinking questions until we had done a good 6 months of doing some of them orally and gradually working up to do all of them aloud together.

Personally, a big chunk of the value of Tapestry is in the integration of the the lit, geography, etc. with the history. For the G and D levels, lit assignments are almost always some sort of historical fiction. There are also poetry selections as well as folk tales, etc. related to the history. Even if you do not choose to do the lit worksheets (G and D) and lit analysis training (D), I would still recommend reading the books.

As far as geography, I'd say that at least looking at appropriate maps and noting the places you are reading about would be important at first. Then, you can decide if you want to work up to the geography assignments and map labeling gradually, if you want to do so.

For hands on, don't try and do something every week at first. Pick 1 or a couple of "We gotta do this, Mom!" projects per unit and enjoy them.

Truly, Tapestry does not need to become this huge, mom-eating monster that some have made it out to be. Give yourself a couple of units or more to gradually add in a bit at a time and find your comfort level. This is our 4th year and we love it.

This will be the first time I use TOG, so I'm a newbie. I was going to use the holiday break to plan out Y2, units 1 & 2 only--Middle Ages & Reformation--for the next 6 months.

But life happened (a death in the family and a medical emergency), and my brain is fried! I don't have any energy to go through the guide and plan everything. I'm tempted to toss it and go for another curriculum, but I LOVE the idea of TOG and so want to do it!

I have one logic stage and 2 grammar stage kids. I want to keep TOG doable, in 45-min to 1 hr. daily chunks. Reading a variety of non-fiction, fiction, and definitely want to dig deep into Shakespeare. I'm only using TOG for history and possibly some literature/worldview. Not sure about timeline and maps yet. Will be using MCT for writing.

Can someone please hold my hand and talk through what I need to do first? How do I get started without feeling overwhelmed?

An easy way to get started involves very little on your part if you limit your discussion time. This method should meet your needs since your focus is on history.

1. Order library books or get them off your shelf :)

2. Make a copy of the book list and hand the logic stage dc the list w/ his/her books highlighted. Say, "Read these. Take notes" (in outline form, or freestyle, perhaps a little of both) or have them write daily summaries and place them in a notebook.

3. Choose 2 (one core/supplement the other literature) for the others and read a core book on M.

4. Tuesday - narrations with the others. Give them something to color or illustrate that goes along with their narration. If the grammar stage dc is older, allow them to write a short summary and illustrate.

3. W. Read the literature suggestion.

Talk about what you read yesterday. Allow all students to share their narrations/summaries.

4. Complete the worksheet (provided in TOG) on the literature selection. These are never tough.

5. Have everyone come together and allow them to share the favorite thing they learned. Give the grammars a book to read quietly on the topic of the week for some quiet time.

While they read, the eldest uses his/her notes/outline to tell you what (s)he has learned. Participate as much as you can.

I think that is pretty bare bones. It will get you started w/o even reading teacher's notes, other than searching for those few pages I mentioned (Reading List, Literature Worksheet).

You can add to this slowly to get in maps, but give yourself a few weeks to plan ahead. Maybe you could pick a week, say 6, and start your lesson planning there. In the meantime, follow the light schedule above. Starting with week 6, maybe you could add mapwork. Once that's in the groove, say by week 12 then add the timeline.

YOU CAN DO THIS. It will be SO WORTH using as you adjust. The TOG FOG is real, but if you drive slowly, you'll come out of it!

This is how we used to start school. Basics, next week add science, next week add history, next week add logic... you get the picture.

Sure hope this helps.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Truly, Tapestry does not need to become this huge, mom-eating monster that some have made it out to be. Give yourself a couple of units or more to gradually add in a bit at a time and find your comfort level. This is our 4th year and we love it.

Amen. :iagree: Just takes a little gettin' used to. Then, you'll be excited about how much you will all learn, how they grow as students, and that it does work itself out as far as planning in time. You just have to find your groove.

Oh, thank you, everyone, for making me feel like this is DOABLE. :grouphug:

First, determine which level they will do for the first unit (page 6 of this start guide). Don't think of the second unit yet. This should help...

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/de/beta/pdcs/SSG.pdf

then post back. I can send you my assignment sheets as we just finished that unit, if you want. I need to know what levels you have first.

That may help see what a week is like...?

I have 1 dialectic and 2 upper grammar children.

I'm going to go over the huge binder tomorrow....breathe in, breathe out...

You may already know this. TOG is read/think/write. Your purple thread pages, the yellow pages, and the red pages provide the overview of each TOG week.

Purple threads is overview of content. The yellow pages are your read and think options. Your red pages offer twelve levels of writing assignments.

I've posted a bit about how I use the TOG week-plans to plan assignments and reach goals:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1180515&postcount=10

Hope that it helps. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I can only speak about scheduling the UG group. When I schedule it, I take the books they need for the unit and see how much reading is doable per day. It will take me an hourto schedule a unit. I only schedule one book of reading per day. Here's ds's schedule for next week (year 3):

M: Read p 46-65 in literature book (do corresponding questions on student pages)

T: Finish literature book (corresponding student pages)

W: Read History core p 1-23

TH: Read history core p 24-49 (do map work)

F: Finish history core book (notebook page on core book - which don't feel in any way you HAVE to do, we just do here) talk about what he read

I guess I schedule Tapestry a little like Sonlight, but this is what works for my UG kid. We don't do read alouds yet (due to a very noisy little sister) and we don't do activities (we do them in a co-op setting). Ds does all of the reading on his own.

This week there was no history in depth so that's why it isn't scheduled.

I started out just doing the History. Then I added some mapping. It was 6 months before I added the Literature.

Take small steps. No you won't be using it to its potential, but that is fine too. You will cover this again, and you can use more of the program then.

Heather

Okay, I spent all yesterday and went through the entire Unit 1. I wrote down my book selections, checking to see which titles are at the library and which I need to buy. I didn't care for some of the spines for history core, so I'll be using a combination of SOTW, MOH, CHOW, and Usborne.

Questions:

How much do you read aloud and how much do you assign for independent reading? Are your kids reading the core books independently? (Before this year we spent most of history time with read alouds. It seems strange for me to not have to do that anymore. ;))

I would like to engage my oldest in the Dialectic accountability & thinking questions, but after going through the questions I'm not sure he's there yet. He definitely can handle reading the D level books, but he may struggle with the questions.So I think he'll be an UG/D combo. How should I handle discussions with him?

The teacher notes looks overwhelming. How long does it take for you to read it all and retain it? (My fried brain, remember? LOL)

Map Aids. I have it, but don't know what to do with it. Help!

Thanks, again!!!

Edited by Handmaiden
clarity