Menu

If you use PLL or ILL

Marsha

I am currently using both PLL and ILL, and am relatively happy with them...BUT I am going to switch to MCTLA shortly. I think the writing portion is adequate if the student is expected to give it her full attention, and makes a real effort; but I am planning to switch in large part to improve their writing skills. So, you know, the usual, YMMV, but I think it's fine for a younger student--but I wish I had planned to finish ILL in 5th grade instead of 6th, so that we could have made a more organized start on MCT. Oh, well. :)

I use both PLL and ILL and am comfortable with them for the elementary years because we do notebook, outlining, and other projects in various subjects. I personally don't use these books past fifth grade, at which time I pick up a seperate writing program (which I'm unsettled on and we're halfway through sixth grade with our oldest...)

I agree with trying to finish ILL by 5th or at least to plan on using it alongside something else, because by 6th you will want to step up the grammar and may want to step up the writing requirements. If I had known all that I am learning about writing in Homer while doing ILL, I think I would have been able to make more of the writing assignments.

I am currently using both PLL and ILL, and am relatively happy with them...BUT I am going to switch to MCTLA shortly. I think the writing portion is adequate if the student is expected to give it her full attention, and makes a real effort; but I am planning to switch in large part to improve their writing skills. So, you know, the usual, YMMV, but I think it's fine for a younger student--but I wish I had planned to finish ILL in 5th grade instead of 6th, so that we could have made a more organized start on MCT. Oh, well. :)

We used PLL/ILL (and Writing Strands), then a year of basic grammar in 7th (and Writing Strands), and now are using MCT. It works fine that way, too :)

Julie