Menu

WP's Hideaways in History K program?

MeganW

Guest Cindie2dds

Heather (Siloam) gives great reviews on WP. I think you can really tell whether it's something you want to tackle or not. I tried to find a thread where she answered questions about HIH, but it might be on the WP forum. I think the main complaint was that it was very fast and should really be for an older child. I was looking into it last summer when I was trying to find something for my girls to do together. It looks like a lot of fun, but I don't like WP's guide books, so we didn't get it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the guide books, *I* just didn't get along with them. They are set up almost exactly like Sonlight's -- a weekly grid with daily pages to read from several books. I need a little more wiggle room and it bothered me if I didn't follow it exactly, my problem, not theirs. Some people thrive with their guide books.

The books that they recommend to add from the library, "You wouldn't want to be..." series are great, fun books for young kids.

Good Luck!

I am doing this with my 2nd grader right now. We like it BUT...

I am only doing the history part.

I like the idea and we are having fun with it, but it is a lot of work on my part. The hideaways are not easy to make (we only have made a few), but they are cool. How often do you make the an Igloo, Great Wall of China, and the Trojan Horse. It is very fast pace. I really don't see a 5 year old doing this. I think with the next two I will do them together and will spread it over 2 years, if I do this again.

OK here my gripe - the TYPOs in the Hideaway book are driving me crazy. I don't think they used spell check or an editor.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I really like the idea more than the execution. Does that make sense? Sorry I could not be more helpful.

I like the idea of the program, but it moved too fast for my first grader. Yet others have said their young kids have really enjoyed it. I just felt that we were retaining very little by speeding through history. I may revisit the program when my kids are a little older.

I like the idea and we are having fun with it, but it is a lot of work on my part. The hideaways are not easy to make (we only have made a few), but they are cool. How often do you make the an Igloo, Great Wall of China, and the Trojan Horse. It is very fast pace. I really don't see a 5 year old doing this. I think with the next two I will do them together and will spread it over 2 years, if I do this again.

OK here my gripe - the TYPOs in the Hideaway book are driving me crazy. I don't think they used spell check or an editor.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I really like the idea more than the execution. Does that make sense? Sorry I could not be more helpful.

I was thinking about doing this with my upcoming 2nd grader and the hideaways were really drawing me to it. I have a wiggly, hyper little boy and thought it would be fun, but I also wondered how fun it would be over and over all year long.

I was thinking about doing this with my upcoming 2nd grader and the hideaways were really drawing me to it. I have a wiggly, hyper little boy and thought it would be fun, but I also wondered how fun it would be over and over all year long.

:iagree:

We did it for 1 qtr. with my K-er son. I thought it was a neat program but he just wasn't interested. And yes, it was a lot of work for mom (and dad!).

That sums up my WP experience. I tried Animals & Their Worlds twice and their Acc K LA. It just does not work in practice, at least for our family, and it's much more advanced than they estimate, even though I have advanced kids generally.