Menu

Vocabulary/Word Roots/ Latin?? 1st grade?

sleepymommy

I thought I had most things for 1st grade figured out, but after reading some other posts I realize that I don't have anything for vocabulary.

It's been awhile since I've read WTM and since we just moved, it will take some time for me to dig it out from my 30+ boxes of books. I thought vocab was just something picked up along the way. Like while reading and then me explaining the meaning or looking in the dictionary for an unfamiliar word.

Is vocab separate from learning word roots? Do we do word roots if we do Latin? Or vice versa, is Latin necessary if we just do word roots? What exactly I'm supposed to be doing for vocab in the 1st grade?

Any suggestions on which curricula you like on any of these topics would be great too!

Well I'm not a WTM guru, but at least this is a bump for you. I just explain any words I think they may not know as we read them. For me in first I want them to learn to read, listen, narrate, add & subtract - anything else they pick up is gravy.

I don't have a copy of WTM so I'm not really sure what the recommendation is.

As far as vocabulary word roots, my son wasn't able to grasp and apply the concept of word roots until around 6th grade. It seems more like using word roots is more of a logic induced thinking skill rather than a grammar stage thing.

As for Latin, Prima Latina is pretty good and geared toward K-3rd, depending on ability. The simplicity of the text and the slow, steady pace seems pretty good for around 2nd/3rd.

Hope that helps.

I haven't looked it up in a long time, but I am pretty sure there is no vocab recc. for 1st grade.

In the early years, I would direct any extra schooling time to reading lots of great books instead of a formal vocab program. (Or a formal LA program at all -- besides reading, reading, reading and a bit of handwriting.)

I think reading (aloud) a wide variety of quality literature naturally increases vocab, and that is enough for the early years. There are good vocab choices starting in Gr 4 - Gr 7, depending on what program you want to do.