Menu

Do you supplement OPGtTR? (Should be a poll - please list what you use)

Rhondabee

Unfortunately, we have stalled out on Lesson 30 of OPGTR for the last 3-4 months. I haven't really cared, since my dd (4yo) has been enjoying the Rod & Staff preschool books, and she can *spell* CVC words even if she can't read them. I figure it will come in time.

But we are starting the last preschool book this week, and she wants to know what the next book is going to be. So, I'm thinking maybe Explode the Code or Modern Curriculum Press Phonics (both are recommended in WTM). But I can't find any sample pages - only scope and sequence listings.

Is one preferred here in the hive?

We use the shows Word World and Super Why on PBS, I also have the Leap Frog DVD's. We have a Tag System and the Short and Long Vowel packages. I have HOP K-2, I See Sam, Progressive Phonics and Sonlights K readers. I did try ETC, but don't care for it. I know I don't want to use MCP Phonics till later, because my son isn't writing yet.

We just use tons of different resources while using OPGTR as a guide only. But I do truly love it, it is the best thing I have seen in 20 years.

We use OPG with my 5 year old dd. We're just past lesson 100 or so.

We do OPG every day - 5x a week.

Here's our supplements:

All-About-Spelling (20 min) - M W F

ETC (10 min) - M W F

Then we do a read-aloud every night, where she reads from an easy reader book (bob book, nora gaydos). We also use ReadingEggs.com and Progressive Phonics for fun.

We do OPG most days, but we do supplement. We begin it at lesson 27 because I don't like the whole letter poem thing. We started with Letterlander flash cards for learning the basic letter sounds and then for making cvc words, then once they were past those we started on 100 Magic Words flashcards. Our other main resource is Fitzroy Readers, which I and the kids all enjoy. Our 6yo also gets easy reading books from the library to do as a change, plus we mix it up by doing reading games (thanks a million to whomever suggested reading and jumping; my 4yo loves that game) and other stuff such as reading all the signs when we're out driving.

We supplement with MCP Plaid, Bob books, and other early readers. We tried ETC, but tears and whining always followed. I thought my DS would like the repetitive sequence of the lessons in ETC, but I think it bored him to tears! MCP does have a lot of writing at the A level. If I feel like he has needs a break from the writing I'll let him do the lesson orally or I will write his answers. If you are starting with a 4 year old, you might consider the MCP K book. I was able to see samples on Rainbow Resource and also CBD. That was over a year ago though.

We use the shows Word World and Super Why on PBS, I also have the Leap Frog DVD's. We have a Tag System and the Short and Long Vowel packages. I have HOP K-2, I See Sam, Progressive Phonics and Sonlights K readers. I did try ETC, but don't care for it. I know I don't want to use MCP Phonics till later, because my son isn't writing yet.

We just use tons of different resources while using OPGTR as a guide only. But I do truly love it, it is the best thing I have seen in 20 years.

So, if you had a "writer" you would use MCP?

(She loves having her own "real school books" to write in -we started the R&S books precisely for that purpose.)

Thanks!