Menu

grammar question..

christine in al

( Here is why I am doing 2 grammar programs... I don't get it yet)

So in the sentence:

The dog jumped up.

Is " up" a prepostion or and adverb? ( WHY?)

Or can a word be two things in one sentence?

OR,, is Gramar an art and both interpretations can be argued?

~christine in AL.

It's an adverb.

A preposition must have an object, or it's not preposition. A preposition always begins a prepositional phrase. It comes "before" (pre) another word showing a relationship (position) between its object and another word in the sentence. Without an object, there is no other word for it to show a relationship with, so it can't be a preposition.

The word "up" in this sentence answers the question jumped "where?". Words that answer "where?" are adverbs.

Edited by matroyshka

Really?

Really? That's a HUGe piece that neither of my fantastic grammar programs have told me. ( well , in a way I got... just yet)

LOL... which part, the adverb questions or the preposition definition? :)

If MCT is one of your fantastic programs, it goes over the preposition thing quite well - one of the things I love about the program - how clear it makes things in so few words! I think a lot of programs make it all unnecessarily convoluted and opaque when it doesn't have to be!

I thought EG did a pretty good job of giving the questions you should ask to determine adjectives and adverbs - I've lent out my copy so I know I'm probably forgetting some, but adjectives answer the questions "what kind", "how many", and "which one" and adverbs answer the questions "how", "when", "where", and "to what extent".