Menu

Poetry study for middle school? Building Poems from MCT?

mazakaal

I've realized that as my kids have gotten older and I've shifted away from R&S grammar to grammar programs that are focused only on grammar (GWG and now AG), ds is not getting any teaching on poetry - alliteration, metaphors, stanzas, etc. Is there something that I could use for him (6th grade) that would cover these areas? I'm thinking about possibly using MCT poetry. It looks like Building Poems might cover what I'm looking for. Any opinions on this program for a 6th grader? Any other ideas of what I could look at instead?

These look very good. Do you have any personal experience with them? If I started with Poetry Primer, would that take a year to complete for a 6th or 7th grader?

Unfortunately, no. I've used some of the other Imitations books, and found them well-designed, easy-to-use, and challenging. I love the samples of the poetry books, but they just didn't fit the schedule this year. (In retrospect, it would have worked, but we were increasing the challenge for ds in so many other ways, I didn't *think* it would fit.)

I think my plan now is to use Primer this coming year, and Grammar the next (for ds). I'm sure we could do Primer in less time, but our literature is shaping up to be pretty heavy, so going slower with poetry might be the right choice.

I just got Art of Poetry in the mail this past week and really like it so far. However I'm impatiently waiting for them to release the Teacher's Guide.

It's geared toward middle school-high school. It covers Elements of Poetry and Formal History of Poetry.

In part one "Elements of Poetry", a particular concept is introduced; images, metaphor, symbols, words, sound & more sound, rhythm, shape: stanza & line, tone: putting it all together.

After the summary of each concept, there are a few poems with questions and at the end of the chapter is a vocabulary list. The text is clean and simple. I have not seen the other poetry curricula, but this one seems to focus primarily on learning the concepts and being able to read and understand each poem.

We've only managed to get to one chapter of Building Poetry so far this year, but I went through all of Music of the Hemispheres with my younger dd this summer, and it was fantastic - I'm expecting the same of BP.

Right now I'm thinking of covering it as a unit after we're done with the other MCT books. My kids are in 6th.