Menu

How to use rules/phonograms in spelling

Has anyone made your own spelling program? I'm wondering if one could use spelling rules and phonogram cards like in SWR and apply them for words a child would spell in dictation exercises. (This is an idea I read from another poster on this forum.)

I'm currently using Spelling Power with my olders, but I have one who will be in 2nd grade next year who is using Sing,Spell, Read, and Write in 1st. (We are also using WWE vol.1 and FLL.) I love the way we've learned in SSRW and want to continue learning spelling this way long term. I just don't like the idea of spending so much money for any spelling program.

Can anyone suggest a way to teach with rules/phonograms and keep cost low? (Can rules/phonogram cards work with Spelling Power?)

Also, I wonder if Apples and Pears would basically do this. It seems like a popular curriculum. (Maybe Spelling Plus?)

Thanks!

Have you read Romalda Spalding's book Writing Road to Reading? SWR was created from Spalding's work. I absolutely love this method of teaching rules with phonograms. My kids have thrived using this method. Check your library. If you like it, the book only costs about $22--money well spent IMHO. The book contains a list of phonograms, spelling rules, syllable rules, and much much more.

Jennifer

Edited by Jen the RD