Menu

Architecture Schools in the mid-East?

LBS

My son wants to study architecture. There are so many arch programs with different flavors out there, and he's not that picky. So UVA and VaTech are top of the list but maybe a stretch for him, so we included UM College Park, Drexel, NCSU on his list, and we are cranking out the apps. I'm just not feeling confident about which schools he'll get in, by any means, and he has not set his heart on any one, thank goodness. He's kinda easy about applying a lot of places (time and $ spent, okay with me) and then will chose from his acceptances. Calm kid. Mom not.

My question is this: what other architecture schools are out there that we should consider? I've done the searches and talked and researched and come up with other names, but can anyone recommend any other schools, please? Clemson is so far from home, near Ashland, Va. Our family values require that he be within reach of home. Philadelphia is farthest, I think.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any help or direction those with experience can offer. I'm doing the last minute freak-out, I guess, but there's plenty of time for Feb. 1 apps, and I just want him to have choices...so he can find a decent fit.

Thanks,

Larkin

Thanks, Chris:

I have done all the searches I can find: About.com, USNWP, College Confidential, CollegeBoard, CollegeNet.....some I've never even heard of, and I keep redoing the CollegeBoard ones. Got a pile of books, too. I keep feeling like there is one I'm overlooking when maybe we need to broaden our perimeters of search. I keep hoping someone will tell me more about a school that fits and that we have not explored or didn't notice.

Larkin

We live in Md...close to UMD College Park. I know I have some local prejudice against the school...but....it is a party school...no doubt.

It is also supposed to be a very good architecture school...probably not that easy to gain admissions either. It is a LEP program there which means limited enrollment program...but you probably know that

Drexel is a good option, in my highly opinionated opinion.....that is where my son is. He chose it for the Co-op program and the opp to do research as an underclassman. (he is in engineering). He also choose Drexel because it fit him like a glove. I really think that is an important thing to consider. WHat school makes your son's eye's light up?

We also were blessed with a significant scholarship at Drexel...which we believe was God's way of opening that specific door. They were willing to bring the cost of attendance in line with our in-state options. Worked for us!

I'd be happy to share more details about the campuses at UMD and Drexel if you are interested. I'm very familiar with both.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread....my son and I have been really reading up about PSU, and talked to admissions and they have a nice, quiet little sattelite campus in Mont Alto, where he could attend PSU, take freshman classes, in what used to be a Forestry College, a pastoral campus, 1200 kids, and then transfer onto the huge University Park campus, the following year. Sort of an adjustment, while taking the same courses, learning to do laundry, but seeing the same friends later at the big campus....or go to summer school to get a better chance to get onto UPark....anybody know the scoop about Penn State? I've read College Confidential, Campus Dirt etc., so looking for any personal stuff? Kid or spouse go there? He wants to be in marching band, and I like that, so kinda wants to get on UPark campus to start with.

Thanks for any comments,

LBS

PS Biggest draw: they have the exact degree he wants...Arch Eng....an engineering more than art degree.