Menu

Finish Prima or go right to Latina Christiana?

Chris in VA

Dd completed about 8-10 lessons in Prima Latina in second grade. Surprisingly, she still retains about half the vocab. I don't know whether I should finish Prima (reviewing a few weeks, of course) and then start LC in 5th, and doing LC2 in 6th, or go right to LC now and finish it by midyear in 6th grade. Ideas? Isn't some of the vocab exactly the same?

You could go right into LC 1. BUT with that said, if your having her memorize the prayers I would do that now before moving on into LC 1. Of course you could start LC 1 and memorize the prayers as you go. LC 1 automatically assumes they have memorized the Latin prayers from using PL.

Also Prima Latina is a nice introduction to Latin,. I'm one of the slow and steady wins the race type of person when it comes to learning Latin.

Honestly, I think LC 1 works even better starting in 4th grade actually because you begin to conjugate verbs and work with nouns and declensions.

I would say if she is gung ho with learning Latin you could safely go into LC 1. But if she is not so sure, or just wants to learn it at a slow pace, and is happy with learning it in a slow pace I would keep with what you have been doing for now and proceed to LC 1 when your done with PL.

the vocabulary is the same. I would say after doing all three programs, from Prima Latina to Latina Christiana II, I think that the vocabularies stay the same, but increase after each book and the grammar increases. I would say there is a bit of a jump from Latina Christiana I to Latina Christiana II. The program goes in steps. So, I think that if your child can handle it, go to Latina Christiana I.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony