Menu

? for all of you healthy people :)

For Christmas I received a Vita-Mix blender and I've been using it quite a bit in the past few days. Are there any great resources you can suggest that will show you the content and benefits of certain veggies over other ones? I'm confused on what is the best veggies and fruit to use in our smoothies. I want to get the most bang for our buck, but in the end I think maybe if we switch things up a bit then we're doing good. For instance if I have 5 fruits then I'd like to know if it really matters which fruits those are, vs using 5 different fruits. And if I'm going to make a green smoothie, should I stick with spinach, or try kale, or even lettuce....this is the info I'd like to find.

Alison

This is the vitamin and mineral content of a number of fruits and vegetables. You would need to compare them because different fruits and vegetables are going to be higher in different things.

http://www.lenntech.com/fruit-vegetable-vitamin-content.htm

This just ranks fruits and vegetables by their vitamin C content.

http://www.health-garden.com/vitamin-c-compared.html

For Christmas I received a Vita-Mix blender and I've been using it quite a bit in the past few days. Are there any great resources you can suggest that will show you the content and benefits of certain veggies over other ones? I'm confused on what is the best veggies and fruit to use in our smoothies. I want to get the most bang for our buck, but in the end I think maybe if we switch things up a bit then we're doing good. For instance if I have 5 fruits then I'd like to know if it really matters which fruits those are, vs using 5 different fruits. And if I'm going to make a green smoothie, should I stick with spinach, or try kale, or even lettuce....this is the info I'd like to find.

Alison

I dont think it matters at all - all are good for you and all contain a slightly different array of nutrients- variety is best. None are "better" than others, except that I do think that darker greens are good- however, it can be better to start with lighter ones to get used to eating more greens.

Trust your instincts too- if you are attracted to kale or a particular fruit, maybe your body needs something in that right now.

My body is just craving greens. Its as if, once i started eating more of them, my body went "oh yeah" and I just want greens in everything. I love baby spinach in particular.

I wouldnt be too serious about it- have fun and enjoy whatever is in season near you. Its all good.

If you want some inspiration for green smoothies, have a look here:

rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54452