Menu

LNST vs SSL, Prima Latina and Latin for Children ?

Aloha2U

I too have a few questions of my own about starting Latin with a first grader, but I didn't want to be a hijacker, so I thought it best to start my own thread. :D

We're using SWR for Language Arts and I don't want to overwhelm or confuse my little man (IYKWIM), so I plan on using Latin's Not So Tough Level 1 this fall. That said, I've heard great things about Song School Latin and Prima Latina (both recommended by VP), which could lead into Latin for Children that I've also heard great things about. So I guess my silly questions are...

Can I use LNST and SSL together? If so, with which levels of LNST?

Will LNST Levels 1-6 be enough, or should I add in Prima Latina or Latin for Children at some point during the course of our studies?

Where do I go after LNST Level 6, especially if I want us to start Greek (Hey, Andrew) in sixth or seventh grade?

I looked at this comparison link provided by OrganicAnn in a similar thread, but perhaps someone can shed some additional light on the subject for this ignorant mommygirl. :tongue_smilie:

TIA!

My boys are in LFC B and I've started my 1st grade dd in Song School Latin. I think it is a great introduction to Latin. It is simple and fun, yet informative. It makes learning Latin quite fun. I am only using the student text which includes the cd. I can't imagine there being any need to use more than that even for someone who doesn't know Latin.

Is he a fluent reader? I wouldn't start LNST until he's fluent in English as LNST 1 is basically a Latin Phonics program. That being said, IMO Level 1 is an invaluable resource.

You could do SSL and LNST 1 at the same time with no problems. SSL contains a lot of "useful" latin. Colors, animal names, expressing feelings, etc.

My oldest 2 children did SSL and then LNST 1. Right now they are working on LNST 2 (I'm not nearly as impressed as I was with level 1 though) and we will start Prima Latina on Jan 4.

My first grader is just learning how to read, so I will start him with SSL in the fall - vocabulary being the focus.

Is he a fluent reader? I wouldn't start LNST until he's fluent in English as LNST 1 is basically a Latin Phonics program. That being said, IMO Level 1 is an invaluable resource.

You could do SSL and LNST 1 at the same time with no problems. SSL contains a lot of "useful" latin. Colors, animal names, expressing feelings, etc.

My oldest 2 children did SSL and then LNST 1. Right now they are working on LNST 2 (I'm not nearly as impressed as I was with level 1 though) and we will start Prima Latina on Jan 4.

My first grader is just learning how to read, so I will start him with SSL in the fall - vocabulary being the focus.

No, I wouldn't say he's a fluent reader, but I see it coming fast. The plan you had/have with your dc is exactly what I was thinking for my ds too! Perhaps I'll start him out w/SSL next year and then add LNST 1 half way through? When will you be implementing LNST w/your first grader?

Hmm... so will you have your older 2 dc continue w/LNST 2 while incorporating Prima Latina? Have you looked ahead to Level 3 and if so, what do you think of it? In your opinion how does Prima Latina compare to LNST... are they compatible/complimentary to one another?

:001_smile:

I don't know exactly when my ds6 will use LNST 1. I have to wait and see how he progresses with English. :) More than likely he will be halfway/almost done with SSL before he begins LNST.

With the older 2 I'm actually considering dropping LNST 2. They pretty much do that on their own though, so I don't know yet.

I think the only thing that you'll really have to consider is whether you want to speak Classical or Ecclesiastical Latin. LNST is Classical.

SSL could be either, but Classical Academic Press seems to be more fluent in Classical Latin. If I remember correctly, they've just recently started adding an Ecclesiastical option to their programs.

Memoria Press Latin (Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, etc) is Ecclesiastical. They give an information sheet on doing it as classical but the CD pronunciations are only ecclesiastical - I think.

I don't know exactly when my ds6 will use LNST 1. I have to wait and see how he progresses with English. :) More than likely he will be halfway/almost done with SSL before he begins LNST.

and

I think the only thing that you'll really have to consider is whether you want to speak Classical or Ecclesiastical Latin. LNST is Classical.

Good points... thank you! I'm beginning to realize that I'm leaning towards classical? So I think we'll just start w/SSL followed by LNST Level 1 and then go from there.

Thanks again for your help! :001_smile: