Menu

Minimus as a Latin supplement?

nd293

Hi,

I am getting a bit "fidgety" with our Latin programme (Lively Latin). Dd9 is certainly learning, but I can't help feeling that she's missing the "big picture" - that this is a real language she is learning.

I have had the opportunity to look through the Cambridge Latin books, and couldn't really see the point of "using" the language without the grammar basics. In other words - I like the parts-to-whole approach, and don't want to change. But I am still wondering whether I could add in a fun whole-to-parts programme such as Minimus to give dd a sense of the language in use.

Can anyone who has done this comment? How do you add in Minimus? How well did it work?

Edited to add: What about using other Latin readers? Any recommendations for readers that have detailed glossaries? I was looking at the Minimus Minibooks, but they assume you have the Minimus glossary at your disposal (and apparently this is only in the very expensive teacher's manual).

Thanks,

Nikki

Edited by nd293

We did Minimus over the summer this year. My dd6 was coming from SSL, and my ds8 was using LL. It was a nice break, and they were very excited when they realized how easily they could actually translate. They beg for it now. I use it judiciously, as a reward, b/c I'd like to keep using it during summers. We homeschool year-round, but summers are definitely more relaxed.

Grammar is taught in Cambridge. Did you also take a look at the "Scope and Sequence" which outlines how the grammar is delineated for the course, which should give you a very good idea of what needs to be emphasized. Of course you would want to reinforce the grammatical and syntactical concepts being taught. There are a number of supplemental materials that you can pick and choose from that can help you do this which you can get from the North American Cambridge Classics Project: http://www.cambridgelatin.com. They are teacher-created and there's a huge array, you couldn't possibly use them all. The scope and sequence is downloadable from that site as well. The nice thing about Cambridge is that it allows you to elucidate as much or as little as you need on the grammatical and syntactical technicalities of the language.

Minimus is introductory to Cambridge. (It's not required as an introduction, but it is definitely much more basic, as it is intended for ages 7-11, whereas Cambridge would generally be recommended for ages 11 to high school/college/etc.)

The teacher's manual for Minimus is expensive, but it's also intended to be used by a classroom teacher and includes reproducible pages. It does include the glossary, although you could of course also use an inexpensive Latin dictionary if you wished or an online dictionary. (The New College Latin Dictionary, 3rd edition, Revised is in paperback for about five dollars at just about any bookstore.) If you don't write in the teacher's manual, it's generally got good resale value.

Minimus is probably the best fit if you're using Lively Latin as compared to Cambridge Latin, but Cambridge would be a good follow-on from LL too.

Hi,

I am getting a bit "fidgety" with our Latin programme (Lively Latin). Dd9 is certainly learning, but I can't help feeling that she's missing the "big picture" - that this is a real language she is learning.

I have had the opportunity to look through the Cambridge Latin books, and couldn't really see the point of "using" the language without the grammar basics. In other words - I like the parts-to-whole approach, and don't want to change. But I am still wondering whether I could add in a fun whole-to-parts programme such as Minimus to give dd a sense of the language in use.

Edited to add: What about using other Latin readers? Any recommendations for readers that have detailed glossaries? I was looking at the Minimus Minibooks, but they assume you have the Minimus glossary at your disposal (and apparently this is only in the very expensive teacher's manual).

Thanks,

Nikki

Thanks for the info on both Minimus and Cambridge. I think Minimus will be perfect as a supplement for dd, and perhaps Cambridge later on, as latinteach recommends. I should say that the children I know using Cambridge are doing it with a tutor who is said to be exceptional, so their experience would be very different from what I could see as a non-Latin speaker just browsing the book.

Since posting I have come across references for Lingua Latina. I was able to read the first lesson in Latin immediately, without using any glassary, and retained a few words too. It was a good feeling! I think I am going to buy both, and then decide which is best for dd now. Perhaps I should use Lingua Latina for myself?

Thanks for the info on both Minimus and Cambridge. I think Minimus will be perfect as a supplement for dd, and perhaps Cambridge later on, as latinteach recommends. I should say that the children I know using Cambridge are doing it with a tutor who is said to be exceptional, so their experience would be very different from what I could see as a non-Latin speaker just browsing the book.

Since posting I have come across references for Lingua Latina. I was able to read the first lesson in Latin immediately, without using any glassary, and retained a few words too. It was a good feeling! I think I am going to buy both, and then decide which is best for dd now. Perhaps I should use Lingua Latina for myself?

Cambridge is extremely well done. It's hard to really evaluate it without taking a look at the scope and sequence at the same time that you're browsing the textbook. The scope and sequence booklet outline the grammatical and syntactical progression very well. Cambridge is one of the most popular Latin textbooks used in classrooms and it has a tremendous following of teachers who have created a lot of supplements and activities to go along with it.

Lingua Latina is definitely an excellent book to use for yourself and you may eventually decide to use it with your children. You might decide you want "The College Companion" which is an excellent grammatical commentary.

Hi LatinTeach,

I have had a look at a sample from Minimus, and a sample from Lingua Latina, and the latter seems much more what I am looking for in terms of the reading. But I am assuming that past the first lesson or two it is going to be necessary to put a great deal of time into the programme to progress with the reading. Am I correct? Is there anything else you could recommend as a reader for a young student beginning Latin. The Bob Books of the Latin world? Something that gives a real sense of reading Latin but that is contextual enough not to have a major grammar component associated with it? We are progressing well with Lively Latin, and don't have time for any major diversions!

Is there anything else you could recommend as a reader for a young student beginning Latin. The Bob Books of the Latin world? Something that gives a real sense of reading Latin but that is contextual enough not to have a major grammar component associated with it?

How about the Tar Heel Latin Readers?

http://tarheelreader.org/tag/latin/

They are free. Many have been written by Latin teachers, but anyone can add a book. In order to ensure quality control for proper grammar, vocabulary, syntax, etc., you should check the Libelli Latin site at http://libellilatini.blogspot.com/ first, where a group of teachers and professors have formed a review process for recommending books and awarding a gold shield: http://libellilatini.blogspot.com/2009/05/about-review-process.html

Hi LatinTeach,

I have had a look at a sample from Minimus, and a sample from Lingua Latina, and the latter seems much more what I am looking for in terms of the reading. But I am assuming that past the first lesson or two it is going to be necessary to put a great deal of time into the programme to progress with the reading. Am I correct?

Take a look at Cambridge. Whereas Minimus is really intended to teach the parts of speech (Latin and English) in the context of the Latin language, Cambridge is aimed at developing reading fluency in Latin, but still delivers much of its content in English. Lingua Latina is intended as a direct method program and all content is in Latin, so yes, it does require a certain commitment of time. (As with any program, you can certainly go at your own pace.) Cambridge is really in between Minimus and LL in terms of difficulty.

Thanks for all the really helpful information and advise, LatinTeach. I will have another look at my friend's Cambridge Latin, and probably get Lingua Latina for myself. With a better understanding of the intentions of the Minimus programme, I do not think it is the one I want.

I am looking through the Tar Heel Readers - what a great resource!

Nikki