Menu

Learning to Read Questions...

Ok, my 7 year old pretty much taught himself to read when he was 3 years old, so this is kind of my first time"worrying" about this. :tongue_smilie:(By the way, it is not as big a blessing as you may think having a child that does that at age 3....just a little humble disclaimer, there, and very true!)

My DD4 is "ready" to read. Asking to read. Complaining she can't read. We've done a bit of 100 Easy Lessons, but she's not a fan. (I'm not a fan, either, but oh well.) She can sound out small words, but I really want to do something "systematic" so we don't have gaps....she enjoys workbooks and completed "Get Ready for the Code." She learned nothing from it. Would she do well with Explode the Code 1? I'm also thinking of: OPGTTR, CLE Learning to Read (my son uses CLE math, reading, LA, and DD4 probably will also), or any other suggestions you may have. :bigear:

Any great successes or failures with any of the above? I know each child will have it "click" in a different way, I'm just looking for a starting point, I suppose.

Thanks!

My first advice would be to consider how your dd learns best. My oldest is a very hands-on, social learner. She was more comfortable with spelling than reading at first. So, we used activities from a book called Montessori Read and Write until she could build simple words with a movable alphabet. Then we moved on to All About Spelling. About halfway through something clicked and she went from reading one word at a time to reading a whole easy reader book. I just let her read until this fall, then picked up AAS again. I also decided to go through OPTGR just to make sure that we didn't miss anything, but it's all been review so far and will be for quite a while. We make this more hands-on by writing words on a white board and dd erases them. You could also build words with a movable alphabet for more hands-on, but we haven't yet since it's all been review. We also enjoy the Happy Phonics games. So, that is what has worked well for my hands-on, NOT visual learner child. What kind of learner is your dd?

Spell to Write and Read, http://www.bhibooks.net/swr.html, is systematic. I have used it for 3 kids now, and they are all excellent readers. It does not get more systematic (and complete) than SWR. I started with each of my 3 before they were actually ready to blend the sounds. They memorized the phonograms (we did not do the spelling words until K or 1st), and then when blending clicked, they went from sounding out every. single. word to reading fluently in the space of about 3 weeks. They were all slightly different ages when this happened, but it happened the same way for each of them.

It was an extremely efficient way to teach reading. Two of mine were in school when we used SWR, but reading was too important to be left to a pile of phonics workbooks.

Terri

We used Phonics Pathways for ds when he was 3 and it worked well. We are now using it with my 6 yr. old and her ability has improved drastically. She has alot of difficulty in learning new concepts so to find anything that works is wonderful for us. I plan on using this with my now 3 yr. old when he matures a bit.