Menu

P90X ?

DH and I are interested in doing this together, though I don't know if we'll necessarily follow their suggested nutrition plan... most likely just doing the workouts. Anyone doing this?

:lurk5:

DH and I have been doing it for around a year. I forget exactly when we started. We do it five times a week, generally. There have been times we had other activities take over and had to drop a few workouts. My oldest three kiddos will do it with us, and the littlest one tries so hard to keep up! I like it because you can change it up and it seems like an entirely different program. It doesn't bore me after a couple of months like other programs have. It's been worth the money to us. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I've done 3 rounds so far. I'm starting Beachbody's new program called Insanity. P90X really works. However, I would say that without the nutrition part it may be more difficult to get the results you are looking for. Just make sure you're eating enough calories. It's such a rigorous program it requires a lot of calories. I'm 5'1 and when I started after baby #4 I weighed 131 and I needed to eat 1800 calories a day to get results! 1800 is a lot to eat especially when you are eating healthy. So, I had to supplement protein shakes and bars. I would also suggest to take before pics and measurements! It's amazing the difference you see in pictures. I'm smaller now after 4 children than ever. Good Luck to you and your husband :001_smile:

I've done 3 rounds so far. I'm starting Beachbody's new program called Insanity. P90X really works. However, I would say that without the nutrition part it may be more difficult to get the results you are looking for. Just make sure you're eating enough calories. It's such a rigorous program it requires a lot of calories. I'm 5'1 and when I started after baby #4 I weighed 131 and I needed to eat 1800 calories a day to get results! 1800 is a lot to eat especially when you are eating healthy. So, I had to supplement protein shakes and bars. I would also suggest to take before pics and measurements! It's amazing the difference you see in pictures. I'm smaller now after 4 children than ever. Good Luck to you and your husband :001_smile:

DH and I have been doing it for around a year. I forget exactly when we started. We do it five times a week, generally. There have been times we had other activities take over and had to drop a few workouts. My oldest three kiddos will do it with us, and the littlest one tries so hard to keep up! I like it because you can change it up and it seems like an entirely different program. It doesn't bore me after a couple of months like other programs have. It's been worth the money to us. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Great! Thanks, ladies! Now I have a few more questions.

What kind of equipment does one need and how much space is required?

How closely do you follow the nutrition plans? My dh was told that your mainly just adding more protein to your diet (meat, protein shakes and bars, etc... like NCJessieRN mentioned).

We really like the idea of being able to work out together at home, but we're concerned that we may be falling for the infomercial hype. That said, my db has it and really likes it (so do a couple of dh's coworkers), however, he's single and already in really good shape, IYKWIM.

Neither of us (dh and I) are crazy overweight per se, but we would like to get back into shape and then maintain the toning.

Edited by CMama

DH and I are interested in doing this together, though I don't know if we'll necessarily follow their suggested nutrition plan... most likely just doing the workouts. Anyone doing this?

Several people my dh works with did this during the past year. They all got great results and they all ended up with health problems -- pneumonia, whatnot -- said their drs. were all familiar with it and said they have numerous patients doing this program and getting sick -- it's too stressful for the body.

Be careful, girlfriends.

Karen

Several people my dh works with did this during the past year. They all got great results and they all ended up with health problems -- pneumonia, whatnot -- said their drs. were all familiar with it and said they have numerous patients doing this program and getting sick -- it's too stressful for the body.

Be careful, girlfriends.

Karen

Funny you should mention this because my DH has tried it a few times and has gotten sick within a month of starting it each time. Maybe that's it. We have the videos and are doing them but very casually. We also do a night or two of these Pilates DVD's we have and also a bit of running. We aren't doing the program, per se, just using the workouts on occasion. Hopefully we won't get sick.

:lurk5:

Visit the the P90X social group. You will have to scroll back the discussion a few pages to start at the beginning. You can read about people's experiences.

I've been doing it a lot along with Daisychics. Neither of us follow the nutrition plan. I would say probably eat less animal protein and more protein shakes, more vegetable as well.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

DH and I do P90X. We did our first round starting in July. I need to lose 20lbs (30 would be GREAT), I didn't lose any while doing the P90 but that is *my* issue because I couldn't get my eating under control. I have however been able to wear some pants that I would normally need to be 10lbs lighter to get into.

It is a great program. I personally don't like the cardio dvds in the program but my DH does. DH has been doing 3-4 days/week again since Thanksgiving. I'm going to start the lifting again with him but I will be doing my own cardio (running).

We do the workouts in our dining room because we have no furniture in there :001_huh:. You need a pull-up bar (my DH uses), you can buy one at a sporting goods store that hooks over a door frame or 'bands' (that is what I use for back exercises).

For weights, I need 5,8,10,12, and 15lb dumbells. I like to lift heavy so I use pretty heavy weights. My sister does the program and I don't know if she uses anything over 10lbs.

There is a pretty active community over at Beachbody, you can get a lot of information from lurking there a little bit.

Be careful, girlfriends.

Karen

Thank you for the warning! This is definitely something to consider.

DH and I do P90X. We did our first round starting in July. I need to lose 20lbs (30 would be GREAT), I didn't lose any while doing the P90 but that is *my* issue because I couldn't get my eating under control. I have however been able to wear some pants that I would normally need to be 10lbs lighter to get into.

It is a great program. I personally don't like the cardio dvds in the program but my DH does. DH has been doing 3-4 days/week again since Thanksgiving. I'm going to start the lifting again with him but I will be doing my own cardio (running).

We do the workouts in our dining room because we have no furniture in there :001_huh:. You need a pull-up bar (my DH uses), you can buy one at a sporting goods store that hooks over a door frame or 'bands' (that is what I use for back exercises).

For weights, I need 5,8,10,12, and 15lb dumbells. I like to lift heavy so I use pretty heavy weights. My sister does the program and I don't know if she uses anything over 10lbs.

There is a pretty active community over at Beachbody, you can get a lot of information from lurking there a little bit.

Helpful info... thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We've just finished our first week of P90X and we love it! It takes me back ? years ago (;)) when I was a competitive gymnast... many of the same moves and stretches, etc. The hard part is realizing the shape I'm in now (along w/the extra baggage) vs. the shape I used to be in. That said, it's incentive knowing how I could be once again! :thumbup:

Jessica,

I checked out your blog and website. Well done on your own PX90 journey!

As you already know, you're absolutely right about the calorie intake. We're supplementing w/protein shakes and bars, as well as drinking much more water, etc. We remembered to take pictures (that I truly hope no one will ever see :tongue_smilie:), but forgot the measurements. However, I'm sure I'll know the difference when the measurements change (KWIM). It was time that I either settle for purchasing all new clothes in the next size up (:ohmy:, :crying:) or take charge and get fit. The increase in movitation, energy level and just overall well-being over this past week is amazing. Praise God!

Stacie,

What does your schedule look like? We're shooting for six days a week as suggested by the program, but my dh is considering five days a week which may be a bit more realistic for him due to his work schedule. (What say ye... independent coach, Jessica?)

BTW, I posted a Wordless Wednesday video to our blog today. It's of my ds taking a turn w/the tension band (dh and I use the pull-up bar, but set-up the band just for our little man).

Check it out! :D

Edited by CMama

Jessica,

I checked out your blog and website. Well done on your own PX90 journey!

THANKS!

As you already know, you're absolutely right about the calorie intake. We're supplementing w/protein shakes and bars, as well as drinking much more water, etc. We remembered to take pictures (that I truly hope no one will ever see :tongue_smilie:), but forgot the measurements. However, I'm sure I'll know the difference when the measurements change (KWIM). It was time that I either settle for purchasing all new clothes in the next size up (:ohmy:, :crying:) or take charge and get fit. The increase in movitation, energy level and just overall well-being over this past week is amazing. Praise God!

That's great! I really feel so much better when I'm consistently working out!

Stacie,

What does your schedule look like? We're shooting for six days a week as suggested by the program, but my dh is considering five days a week which may be a bit more realistic for him due to his work schedule. (What say ye... independent coach, Jessica?)

What works best for you guys and what you can stick to is the best thing. For me, if I have more than I day off it makes it more difficult to get back into the routine.