Menu

Periodic Table tiles- useful or extravagant?

Trivium Academy

http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalog/product?deptId=&prodId=55694

For third grade Chemistry? I thought it would be neat to build the periodic table as we learn about it and it would be great to be able to separate the elements from the rest of the table to focus on them.

Would you consider this extravagant or useful (for years to come)? I can't make up my mind about this!

Ohhhhh....Those look cool. Just when I told my husband that I wouldn't order so much online. There is so little available over here, so we have most things shipped over. Those look great, though, for learning the perodic table. I think that I'll have to make an exception!

Thanks,

--Dawn

Unless you are going to try and have her start to memorize the chart itself. (Not something I had to do as a chem major in college as there was one posted in every room. But I did get to know several from memory that were used a lot.)

I do think it's cool and something great to have around when they are older and putting them together into families. Maybe what you are looking at for science next year does that? I'd be worried that it would be a hit now and then when you come back to it down the road, she won't be interested in the tiles because they are "what I used when I was little."

But that's me. You know your dd better than I do. I could see getting it for my crew - dd 13 could use it, dd 10 could look at it and ds 7 could play with it (supervised so pieces don't go missing!). I'm just not sure to get it with the oldest at 3rd grade.

Ok, the more I write the less sure I am. :o Ds7 would think it was really cool to play around with. And it's under $20. Will your little one (Danny? I'm so bad with names!) get into them and lose pieces? Once you lose pieces it wouldn't be good anymore. You know, looking at price, if I were doing chem next year (with my then 3rd grader) yes, I'd probably buy them and forget to get them out at the right time.

OK, so just ignore me. Count this post as one more post closer to the "worker bee" designation. :rolleyes:

Nope. i just did a co-op class about the periodic table. A great resource was mii.org --they send you a HUGE *free* periodic table poster!!

as for individual elements, i would encourage you to cut index cards in half, have your dd make her own "trading cards", and build it on the floor :-) You can even color them lightly after writing the info on them, or use a specific color to write the info.

We made a TON of these --make simple ones w/ just the name, a duplicate copy w/ just the symbol and play it as memory or go-fish. Do NOT try to make a double set of alll the cards, lol --just the most common elements that they will encounter.

We did have fun w/ elemento, but it's probaby not as much fun for under 5th grade [our co-op was geared for 5th and above]. The periodic table shower curtain looks like fun tho :-)

Books: We liked Fizz Bubble Flash and a teacher book by carson-dellosa: Elements and the Periodic Table -What Things Are Made of" for grades 5-8. It had a LOT of great ideas that could be used w/ younger kids.

I made an element Bingo and Jeopardy game too. here's the categories and Q I used in the Jeopardy game:

Element Jeopardy!

Categories:

By the Numbers [all “questions” will be a number]

Organization [of the Periodic Table]

Tricky Symbols

Easy Symbols

Properties [of the elements]

---------------------------

By the Numbers:

100: Most Symbols have this many letters. [What is Two]

200: The number of protons in the element Hydrogen. [What is One]

300: The atomic number of Lithium. [What is Three]

400: The number of periods on the Table. [What is Seven]

500: The number of columns on the Table. [What is Eighteen]

Organization:

100: The horizontal rows of the table. [What are periods ]

200: The vertical columns of the table . [What are families]

300: This is also called the atomic number . [What is atomic mass]

400: These series of elements are usually placed at the bottom of the table . [What are the Lanthanide and Actinide series ]

500: The Russian Scientist who constructed the first Table of the Elements.

[Who is (Dimitri) Mendeleyev-- –or anything that sounds like his name, lol- close counts ]

Tricky Symbols:

100: K [What is Potassium]

200: Na [What is Sodium]

300: Fe [What is Iron]

400: Ag [What is Silver]

500: Sb [What is Antimony]

Easy Symbols:

100: He [What is Helium]

200: Ne [What is Neon]

300: Ar [What is Argon]

400: Kr [What is Krypton]

500: Xe [What is Xenon]

**edited to add I gave out an extra 100 points if they recognized the pattern of the symbols above!

Properties:

100: The state of matter in which you find most elements at room temperature. [What is solid]

200: The element used to make soda cans. [What is aluminum]

300: An element that is found in liquid form at room temperature. [What is Mercury OR Bromine]

400: All of the isotopes of this element are radioactive. [What is Radium]

500: The elements in this family are very unstable and will react quickly w/ many things. [What is the First OR Alkili Metals Family]

Too funny! You have the SAME thoughts as me. When we do chemistry in the next level, ds will be 3rd grade and dd will be 7th grade so it would be more useful then but it would be something fun for dd7 to do in 3rd grade and provides a great visual/tactile aid. Hmmm. I think I'll wait some more and get a good look at our curriculum to see if would really be beneficial (Living Learning Chemistry).

Thank you for replying!

Nope. i just did a co-op class about the periodic table. A great resource was mii.org --they send you a HUGE *free* periodic table poster!!

What did you provide to them for this? It says 'certified' teachers and I don't know whether to contact via email/phone and ask about homeschoolers or what. I love this poster, esp with the information about the elements on it!

What did you provide to them for this? It says 'certified' teachers and I don't know whether to contact via email/phone and ask about homeschoolers or what. I love this poster, esp with the information about the elements on it!

They did not ask for proof of certification. I just sent in on "school letterhead" a request as a teacher at the school :-) Keep it short --they don't need an explanation.

another point I forgot to make--

you might want to do the trading cards in stages --put only the symbol at first, add the name next, the atomic number as soon as you can, and any other info after that. The biggest thing to figure out is that there is a specific method to the madness :)