Menu

What kind of printer / copier should we buy?

My husband is going to be purchasing a new printer/copier for our home office soon and we really need a good one. First off, he will need it to make copies for our church plant (he is the pastor), second we will need it to print documents off the computer.

The all in one Epson printer we currently have is a rip off. The ink is super expensive and runs out FAST! It also will not print only in color if the black is out and it is impossible to refill the cartridges! UGG!

So we need something that will give good copies and is economical to replace the ink in.

I don't know anything about Laser printers, so if that might be a better choice, please enlighten me.

I have a laser color jet (it's an HP) printer only. I LOVE it! I am not going to love replacing the ink, but it's not time yet, and I've had it for about a year and a half and haven't had to replace it yet. I print a lot of stuff - I love using free printables for school, i make lots of file folder game type stuff, i print shopping lists, all sorts of planners and lists, recipes, etc. I never shy away from hitting the print button if there's something I want to remember :)

I am still trying to find a good printer so can't help with a recommendation but I can suggest NOT buying the one I currently have - HP Officejet 6500 Wireless.

The first one died and they told me to just take it back and exchange it. This one won't install on my Dell laptop. It gets almost to the end and tells me there is a fatal error and completely rolls back the installation. I can't scan into my computer with it as a result. The printer occaisionally freaks out and prints static looking copies. The ink is expensive and has a chip on it so it can't be refilled and the customer service on the HP website is worthless. Oh, and the two sided copying just won't even work at all no matter what I do. It just jams. I am just waiting for this one to die because I am not going to pay someone to fix it - but of course, like all annoying worthless appliances it will live forever. But I'm not bitter...:glare:

Edited by jcooperetc

I have a laser color jet (it's an HP) printer only. I LOVE it! I am not going to love replacing the ink, but it's not time yet, and I've had it for about a year and a half and haven't had to replace it yet. I print a lot of stuff - I love using free printables for school, i make lots of file folder game type stuff, i print shopping lists, all sorts of planners and lists, recipes, etc. I never shy away from hitting the print button if there's something I want to remember :)

Would you mind linking to it. I would love to look at what you have. Thanks!

ink jet. We have both - I use the laser (b&w) for most things and the all in one ink jet for copies only. Laser is so much faster and reliable. We have a brother that is about 2 years old - laser toner is expensive but sort of the cost of doing business for homeschooling. I use meritline to get my toner - a bit cheaper than Staples, etc. The cost isn't the printer but the ink and toner. Sounds like you'll use yours alot - laser for you definitely.

I can suggest NOT buying the one I currently have - HP Officejet 6500 Wireless.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

We recently had to upgrade our scanner because we could not get it to work with Microsoft Vista properly :mad: We decided to get an all-in-one machine because we hated the OfficeJet 6500 so much. I'm so glad we did!

We splurged and got a color laser all-in-one, the HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi MFP. DH picked it because it got a good review by PC Magazine.

Check out this website

http://www.printer.com http://www.printer.com/

You can put in the amount of copies you expect to run in black and white/color and what features you want. It will give you the best deal factoring in ink usage!

I then took the top 10 and looked at reviews at Amazon to see which was the best operating machine.

I almost replaced my HP Photosmart this year because I thought it would be cheaper...but after figuring out all the costs... I decided it would take 2 years to break even and thus not really worth it to me.