Menu

Apologia courses back to back?

Dd is doing Apol. bio and chem right now, and I thought we would just continue on with the advanced courses after that (we school year round).

I think Quiver mentioned her son did Apol. Chem I and Chem II back to back (and lived to tell about it!). Anyone else do this? How was it? Too intense? Or just exhilirating? I'm sure it depends on the kid, but I'd like to learn from your experiences . . .

I'm also wondering if it's unwise to do so much science right away freshman year. She may go to college a year early, so I'm guessing it's okay. Any thoughts?

we are planing to do this, my ds15 has just finished biology, and isn't going to do the advanced ( wants to be an engineer), but he is also doing apologia physics, and chemistry, when he finishes one, he will move right into the advanced physics or chemistry book. My son is hoping to get through all advanced physics and chemistry and Saxon advanced math and calculus in the next 2 years. I thought 3 years but he is determined to get it all done in 2.

Hi, Melissa. Thanks for your response. We are almost neighbors -- you in Australia, me in India!

Would you mind telling me a little more about your son's math/science studies? Did he start Apol. chem and physics at the same time? Is he doing Saxon Adv. Math right now? Does he just love math and science?

Dd really likes math and science and will probably finish Saxon Alg. II the middle of Feb. She'll probably start Adv. Math the middle of March (dh is going to America the beg. of March and will pick it up for her). I read that it would be a good idea to start Saxon physics in the middle of SAM, so that's what we'll probably do. I don't know when she'll finish bio and chem, because she's going to be doing some travelling this next year, and I don't want her taking more than her math books with her. So, I am not sure when she will get into the adv. sci. courses, and of course don't know when she'll finish them.

Part of me is a little concerned that we are off balance, so heavy into math and sci., but another part says not to worry, that things will even out eventually. I really want to run with her interests, and that is where they lie.

I feel so new to all this, since dd is my oldest. High school really seems to have changed since I was there. I'm sure we'll make it through, but there does seem to be a learning curve . . .

Thanks again!

Susan, thanks for your reply. Yep, I am pretty much just letting her run with her interests -- I really want her to enjoy her schoolwork.

I hear you about just getting one course done a year -- we're pretty behind in Latin and English. We'll be playing catch up on those.

Thanks again!

My dd took Biology, Chem, Physics and then Adv Chem (and then she took the AP exam) and she found she had forgotten so much Chem in the year she didn't do it. As a result my ds has done Biology, Physics and is now doing Adv Physics - and will finish with Chem. It has meant he has hit high level math early (which wouldn't have been a problem if he had been doing Adv Chem) but otherwise this has been much better for him. My next son is following the same pattern as my older son, but he is pushing through his math faster (he is using Life of Fred) so I don't think he will be as overwhelmed by the math.

Meryl

Hi, Melissa. Thanks for your response. We are almost neighbors -- you in Australia, me in India!

Would you mind telling me a little more about your son's math/science studies? Did he start Apol. chem and physics at the same time? Is he doing Saxon Adv. Math right now? Does he just love math and science?

Thanks again!

The school year in Australia finishes in December. my ds15 has just finished Saxon algebra 2. He will start saxon advanced math in February.

he finished apologia biology 1 month ago and moved straight into chemistry. He has been doing the physics for 4 months and is 1/3 of the way through the book. He does the physics once a week, and the chemistry twice, math 4 times a week. As far as the math in the physics, he has had no problem with it at all, just some minor problem with significant figures.

My son is a real math/science guy. He is hopeless with any written work though. He really wants to get through all the advanced chemistry, physics and math because he is trying to get through high school in 2 years. He really wants to go to university and become an engineer. To do this he has to do at least2 units of open university, because he won't have a year 12 certificate. And he will have to have worked and saved $30,000 to apply for a student loan to pay for his $120,000 university fees. He could always take 3 years to finish high school like I was planing , but if he has a burning desire to really work at it, I am not going to stop him.

Wow, Melissa, that is a lot of money for engineering studies! I thought Australia had free education, like the European countries. What a lot of pressure on your son, to save so much! Good luck to him!

Meryl, thanks for your response. It does seem like being ahead in math really helps with upper level science studies. Thanks again for sharing your kids' experiences!

Wow, Melissa, that is a lot of money for engineering studies! I thought Australia had free education, like the European countries. What a lot of pressure on your son, to save so much! Good luck to him!

!

Free for primary and high school, not free for University . Though you can get government loans, that you pay back after you start working. It will be very expensive because he will have to move to the city and board as well as his huge university fees. But he is hoping for a large income when he is finished.:D

Hey Melissa in Australia,

Depending on what kind of engineer he becomes, he will have a very good income. If not in Australia, then in the US. We are looking for engineers, particularly ones who can get security clearances. The salaries are very good. Coming from a allied English speaking country would get him far. Just a small thought for him since I believe that US salaries are ahead of Australia's.

Hey Melissa in Australia,

Depending on what kind of engineer he becomes, he will have a very good income. If not in Australia, then in the US. We are looking for engineers, particularly ones who can get security clearances. The salaries are very good. Coming from a allied English speaking country would get him far. Just a small thought for him since I believe that US salaries are ahead of Australia's.

thankyou, he is aware of the large salaries for engineers, that is not the reason he wants to be an engineer, but it sure helps. I have no Idea what they are paid in America, but, The hairdresser's son, just finished university as a civil engineer, and got a job straight away with a mining company in outback Australia for $120,000 per year.